Chapter 59

"He bought a ring."

Gabby's POV: When I heard that Severide bought a ring for Stella, I was shocked. "He what now?" Matt nodded and smiled at me. "Yeah, he just told me this morning. So, can you do me a favor and maybe not spoil it for him? I know he's not your best friend...but he is my best friend." I looked at Matt and smiled when he asked me that. "Hey, of course I am not going to want to ruin the surprise. And it doesn't matter if he is your best friend or my best friend...I would hate for my guy's proposal to not be a surprise." Matt then looked at me. "Last time I checked, you don't propose to your wife after you are married." I smiled when he said that and went to hug him. "I still love how we got engaged at the fire academy." 

Matt smiled when I said that. "Me too. I thought it was a nice idea. It was a big step in your journey to be a firefighter. By the way, just for future reference...I am not opposed to you wanting to return in the future if you choose to. I am fully supportive if you want to return to truck when you are back from maternity leave." I sighed when he said that. "That isn't happening Matt. We have to be on separate vehicles now. We can't be together just in case something happens. I can't risk having this baby be orphaned." Matt nodded and understood where I was coming from. "Hey, I understand. But remember that is never going to happen. There is no way I am not going to come home to my girls."

I smiled when he said that and then went to lean up. Kissing him softly, I couldn't help but be really happy as we held each other close. "You sure you want to go to the firehouse? I am starting to want to cuddle up in bed again." Matt laughed when I said that and then looked at me. "You're still tired from the flight and not sleeping for a few days aren't you?" I sighed when he asked me that and nodded. "I know, I shouldn't be but...I am just tired. Between the pregnancy, the sleepless nights and all the travelling...it's a lot." Matt nodded and understood. "Hey, I get it and I want you to be healthy. Whatever I can do to make that happen. Anyways, it's not our shift. I can talk to chief and get out of it...I am positive."

I nodded when he said that. "Can you call him before we head inside?" Matt nodded and smiled as he went to grab his phone. He then went to call the firehouse and Boden picked up quickly. "Firehouse 51, Chief Boden speaking." Matt then smiled. "Hey Chief, it's Casey. I was just wondering if shifts at the food kitchen today was mandatory." Boden then spoke to us. "I was hoping you would come in but...knowing that Gabby must still be jetlagged, I understand if she'd rather stay home. You want to stay home with her." Gabby then looked at me. "You know what, let's just go for a bit. I can always rest in your bunk room." I nodded and agreed with her. "We'll be there Chief. Can you just make sure my bunk room is available?" Boden agreed. "Of course, see you soon." Gabby then looked at me. "I am not going to sit in there."

I nodded and agreed. "It's available for you. I have some clothes you can wear there. I always keep some sweats there in case you ever showed up out of the blue." Gabby smiled when I Said that. "You are the best, you know that?" I smiled and nodded. Stepping close to her, I went to wrap my arms around her before going to kiss her softly. "I love you and Merry Christmas." Gabby smiled when I said that. "Anyways, I want to see Cindy Hermann." I smiled when she said that. "I am positive she wants to see you too. Now, let's get going." Gabby nodded and agreed with me as we went to get in my truck so that I could drive her to the firehouse before my shift at the Christmas soup kitchen.

NOTE: Next post is going to be something a little different than a normal post. It's going to be a chapter with just Matt's thoughts...no dialogue between him and Gabby or any other character. I haven't ever done a post like this but...I think I might start. I want to know what you guys think. Read it and let me know. Thanks and also...if you send me storyline suggestions, I may use them. I will also give you credit, I promise. Thanks again for reading. -DawseybyA