Chapter 68

Matt's POV: Once me and Gabby finished eating supper together, I smiled as I quickly did the dishes. However, Gabby wasn't having any of it. "Babe, let me do it." I then looked at her. "Gabby, you are still resting after a lot of travel. Please just relax. Now are we going to relax in bed or are we staying out here?" Gabby then looked at me and smiled. "Honestly, I would rather we relax in bed. Sorry but, I prefer laying down while I pregnant for some reason." I laughed when she said that. "You sure it's not just you wanting to cuddle up to your husband in bed?"

Gabby laughed when I said that and smiled. "What can I say...you putting your hand on my butt is attractive." I nodded when she said that. "Fine, you can get me in bed today...but tomorrow we get to sit out here. We can rotate. I know you are still tired." Gabby then walked over to me. "It's also because I am more comfortable in bed. I mean it Matt, I missed our bed and I like laying down there. It's much easier to get comfortable in bed. Is that a problem?" I turned to look at her and sighed. "I am not trying to make it a problem but, I am worried about your mental health."

Gabby then looked at me. "Are you accusing me or not being rational when it comes to making the choice to keep this pregnancy? I thought you wanted it." I then went to grab her hand. "Hey, that is not at all what I am saying so please don't even think that Gabby. I am really happy we decided to keep the baby because I want to be a dad. What I am worried about though is you not getting air sometimes. You know what happens when we just sit in silence for too long. Your mind starts racing and you just don't take time to relax. Plus, we have the fireplace out here."

Gabby then sighed and understood where I was coming from. "Sorry I got mad." I then went to walk over to her and nodded. Wrapping my arms around her, I went to kiss her forehead and just whispered to her. "Listen, I am not going to fight you on this today okay? You want to lay down in bed...we can. I just had this idea of us laying down on the couch with all the lights off and nothing but the TV and the fireplace lighting up the room." Gabby smiled when I said that.

"That actually sounds really romantic. Had you said that, I wouldn't have argued." I then smiled when she said that. Stepping close to her, I went to bend down and kissed her softly. "Listen, do me a favor and just go sit on the couch. I will start the fireplace for us and then, I will come sit with you. You can sit in between my legs on the sectional. Just bring the big part of the couch closer so that I can put my legs on it and hold you easier." Gabby nodded and agreed with me as she went to walk away to the couch.

Matt & Gabby Modular Couch

(Courtsey: Wayfair - Home by Sean & Catherine Lowe)

Once Gabby set the couch up the way she likes it, she went to grab the blanket because we were going to cuddle under it (we always did during the winter). Meanwhile, I went to walk over to the fireplace and turned it on so that it could provide us both some light and warmth (not that I wouldn't already be warm while cuddling up to Gabby). Once I finished doing that, I looked at Gabby as she sat on the couch. "Admit it, as much as you hate the fact that I shopped without you...you like the couch I purchased." Gabby laughed and nodded. "It's a nice couch."

Walking back over to the kitchen, I went to grab our water bottles so that I could fill them. We had some big jugs. I use mine especially when I am on shift. I either fill it with water or coffee. The guys hate it when I fill it with coffee though because I can put an entire pots' worth of coffee in it. But I am not going to complain. Once I filled our water bottles up, I carried them over to the couch and looked at Gabby. "Here, some water. Now, I am going to get on with you okay?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me, ready to cuddle up to me on the couch. Getting on, I smiled when I went to sit in the corner of the couch while setting our water down on it.

Gabby then crawled over to me and smiled when she went to sit in my lap before laying down on my chest. Once she was comfortable on my chest, I grabbed the blanket and put it on top of us before going to wrap my arms around her. Once we were (finally) comfortable, I kissed her head and smiled. "You like this couch?" Gabby nodded and smiled. "Oh definitely. I can already see us using the center a lot when the baby is a toddler. Or babies, whatever. Can we just say baby for now until we know?" I nodded and agreed with her. "Of course. Keep going before you loose you thought." Gabby laughed when I Said that and agreed.

"What I was saying that I can see us using the center as our play area with the baby. We can cuddle together and the baby can play there. So, if we decide to move...I don't care what Severide says, we are taking this couch with us." I nodded and agreed with her. "I am never going to say no to that request. That way, I can hold my girl like this much easier." Gabby smiled when I said that. Leaning down, I smiled as I went to kiss her softly. "What do you say we sleep here tonight or are you going to want to head back to bed?" Gabby then smiled when I asked her that. "Right now, I don't want to move. So we can stay here."

I agreed and nodded when she said that before kissing her head. That's when our quiet time was (unfortunately) disturbed by Severide and Stella. Walking in, they looked at us and sighed. "God, you are out here." I then looked at him. "What happened to staying at Stella's place?" Stella then sighed when I asked her that. "I just learned that Grant is back out of the hospital. Apparently, the psycho actually passed his psych eval." I got nervous when she said that. "So you want to stay here instead?" Stella bit her lip. "Is that a problem?" I then decided to check with Gabby. "You think it'll cause you too much stress pregnancy wise?"

Gabby then looked at me and shook her head. "Nope...anyways, nobody can get in here. Security is extra tight and the manager knows that my brother is a cop. He knows to call somebody if there's a chance we can get hurt." I smiled when she said that and nodded. "Want them to join us?" Gabby smiled and nodded before laying her head back down. "Guys, come join us. We are just sitting here tonight by the fireplace and talking." Severide nodded and agreed. "You think we can talk about your treatment stuff?" Gabby nodded. "Sure, get changed and then we can talk about it." Severide and Stella both nodded and agreed with us. "But no TV tonight, I haven't had a night of quiet in a while!" Stella understood. "Got it girl."

Walking away to get changed, Severide and Stella quietly made their way into their room. Meanwhile, I just held Gabby close as we relaxed on the couch.