Chapter 119.1

Editor: Sahloknir

Outside, Shi Qing's mother was still ranting in the courtyard.

Her voice was melodic and moving, with every word slowly and softly enunciated. It was like she was being coquettish.

"Which family doesn't cherish and coddle their young masters like treasures? Is that Jiang family young master any more precious than the one from our Shi family? Besides, my Qing-er is the only son in this household. How dare they only send over a concubine-born son as compensation from pushing him into that icy cold lake! They must be dreaming if they think this is over!"

Then some maidservants with equally soft accents tried to persuade her, "Furen, it's not good for your health to be so angry. Our family will definitely see this matter through, but the other party is our Shi family's son-in-law... It's inconvenient to ask for him directly."

"Pei!" Shi-furen spat in a delicate way. "I don't know what my husband saw in him back then. Hmph, what son-in-law. Instead of behaving himself after marrying my Xi-er, he made her share a bed with those wenches from that brothel! As expected of a military household like the Jiangs, they're all brutes! What kind of son-in-law is he if he can't cherish my Xi-er!!"

However, despite her furious tone, Shi-furen spoke no more about demanding an explanation.

After all, although military households didn't have too high of a status in the past, they were in chaotic times where 'might meant right'. The Shi family was a merchant household. Under the previous dynasty, merchants were looked down upon no matter how much money they had. Only amidst the present chaos could the Shi family rise to prominence with their ample supply of goods.

But no matter how prominent they were, their daughter had already been married off to another family. If the Shi family stirred up trouble, that unruly ingrate might take it out on her daughter.

Shi Qing had just about heard enough. He hollered at the people outside, "Servants!"

Almost immediately, someone lifted the curtains draped around his bed. A cleanly dressed and comely maidservant beamed as she came in. She carefully examined Shi Qing's expression, only relaxing when she was sure he wasn't in pain.

She whispered, "Qing-er, don't get into any more fights with that person. Their Jiang family was once a military household, so how can our Qing-er beat them? You gave all of us a good scare. Especially Furen, she's been crying nonstop."

Shi-furen also heard the commotion inside. Ecstatic, she turned and entered with quick, small steps. Tears ran down her cheeks when she saw her son sitting up in bed in one piece.

"Oh my Qing-er, you truly scared Mother. If something happened to you, Mother would have nothing to live for anymore."

Her acting like the sky was falling down made Shi Qing think he'd been diagnosed with an incurable illness instead of, 'being carried home after catching a cold from whipping someone after being fished out of the river'.

No wonder the original host was an overbearing and spoiled brat. Everyone in the room looked at him like he was an adorable baby.

Only after crying softly for a while did Shi-furen dab at her face with her handkerchief. She tenderly tucked Shi Qing in.

"My son, rest soundly at home for now, alright? Don't go anywhere before you're healed. Mother knows you did that because you care about your sister, but a child like you shouldn't meddle with this. That Jiang family are nothing but brutes. They'll hurt you again."

Shi Qing obediently nodded like he was a sensible child. He chirped, "Don't worry Mother. I won't go."

Shi-furen looked at him doubtfully. She dabbed at her red-rimmed eyes again. "I don't trust you one bit. That mouth of your is filled with nothing but lies. You said before that men had a right to take in many wives and concubines, but you snuck out to avenge your sister in the next breath."