Break

Eric

"Have my fun?" I asked her as I noticed her sister and friend peaking out of the door.

"Is that what you think I want?" I asked as Aden found his way out of the apartment door and to the front door.

"Yeah. You wouldn't have left if you didn't." She said back.

"I want I marry you. I want to move into something that's ours. I want a life, a family. I don't know how many times I have to say it.

"Aden no." Jaimie said as I I opened the door. I healed it open so he wouldn't have to struggle to push the door.

"It's ok." I said picking him up when he got closer. He automatically put his head on my shoulder.

"Tell me something..." She said pausing.

"Yes." I said before she could ask me about my time in New York. I tried to keep my face straight as I though about Hadiya and our time together.

"Ok..." She said nodding her head.

"I don't have anything to say or a reason but it happened. I'm
Not going to lie to you." I said making her look at me.

"Now I need to ask you something." I said gathering all her attention.

"Are you in love with X?" Her entire mood changed.

"Am I in love with X? No." She responded looking me dead in the eye.

"Why would you ask that?" She asked as I rocked Aden back and forth.

"That's the only thing that I could think of. And my mind is the only thing that could possibly stop you from wanting to be with me. You talk a good game but your energy is off." I said thinking that it could be the pregnancy that was making her change. I was beginning to well tired of the back-and-forth. Even though I tried to end it and she was giving a lackluster fight I wasn't sure if I cared.

"I'm pregnant. I'm in stable and I just want this to be over. I just want everything to be the way it was when We first moved back to Texas." She said with tears in her eyes.

"Understand how much I hate you and I just want us to be ready to do the work to get back to where we were. Coparenting doesn't work for me. She can't have you and you can't leave me." She said. My eyes went from her to the other side of the parking lot. I took a deep breath as I come through my own thoughts. The truth was I didn't wanna leave her and I probably wasn't going to. She's pregnant with my kid and despite her attitude at the moment I do love her. On the other hand, she doesn't love me the way I love her.

"I can't shake the feelings that..."

"I love you Eric. That's the feeling that should matter. I have apologize for lacking affection and I promise you that we can work. This is...this can work."

"I know that we can. I want to sue but in order for that to happen I think they need to take a break." I made sure that Aden was asleep before I made the comment. Even though he was young he was very smart and he could sense everything that was going on between the both of us. I was still very hesitant about continuing our relationship. I could blame it on pregnancy and her hormones but at the end of the day I didn't feel like she wanted this to work.

"A break? What does that look like for us? Are you going back to New York?" She asked entertaining the idea.

"No I'm not going back to New York. I don't want to complicate this anymore. I don't plan on involving anybody else in our relationship..." I paused as I thought of a way to tell her that I don't want her to be involved with anyone else either. I bypassed that thought because I didn't think I had the right.

"I will be at any appointments. I'll see you at work." I continued.

"I just want us to fall in love with each other again. I want us to have time for each other." She responded.

"I agree that date nights and time alone is important for us. We may need time to miss each other." I said plainly. I wanted to give her time to figure herself out but I don't want to seem like I was leaving her in the wind.

"What about him?" She said referring to Aden.

"You already know he is my son. It's going to kill me not to see him." I said. It wouldn't take long for him to put me in the same boxes and father.

"I am not a man who dips in and out and I never wanted that. I love him like I love you." I said letting her take the lead.

"I don't want you to be. You can see him when ever you want. If you want to keep him, if you are comfortable, that's fine." She said taking a deep breath.

"Ok. Umm they told me you umm..." I started to address the fact that she left jewelry and gifts that I had purchased for both him and her at my place.

"I'm going to be packing up to move and I want to know where your head is." I changed the subject.

"I had been looking at some places. It started off as place for us and then I wasn't sure if... what we were doing so I started looking at smaller spaces." She said honestly. We didn't have a lot time to debate on where we were going to live. On the other hand moving in together for our relationship not to work wasn't an option. I did want to put that stress on her our kids.

"We will figure it out."