𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

THE DAY THE WORLD ended, everything seemed to cease. Time appeared to freeze, arriving at a sharp finalization as the inhabitants of Earth scrambled around, trying to piece together what exactly transpired.

     The day the world fell, life seemed to burn out like a candle. It was blunt and hasty, and the warmth and glow quickly dissipated.

     Civilization crumbled, innocent people perished, and families were displaced; all the while, the cannibalistic dead began to roam the globe.

     And to think, she just wanted to return home. She wished to hold her sister's hand as they returned home from school, have her mother embrace and kiss her after a long day, and have her father tell her he loved her.

     What stung the most was her realization that she would never have any of that ever again, that all of those things were just faraway memories from long ago that had aged so extensively now that the recollections began to muddle together into one big clump.

     But the world was heartless, a scathing, stony reality she learned when life became no more rather quickly. A reality she knew she had to face if she was ever going to stand a chance against the undead.

     The cannibalistic killers blundered toward her, their hazy, overcast eyes locked on their next banquet.

     The unaided presence of them was enough to make the young girl ill as the group of abominations slowly prodded closer and closer.

     Their stench permeated the air as her trembling hand enveloped her hunting knife's smooth leather sheath.

     As she stared down the grotesque monsters directly in the eye and slipped out her blade, she vowed never to give up fighting until she drew her last breath.