Chapter 2: A dismal fate. (Part 1)

Whenever the dreams came, Kyle could tell. Unlike ordinary dreams which felt as if he were being pulled along, these were grounded. He could never interact with them, he simply watched and when the time came it would disappear.

A girl sat against a low stool placing a blade against a stone wheel and letting small sparks fly. Her expression wasn't one of concentration, instead it was calm, as if the work she did was second nature. A knock resounded on the nearby door and without pause it opened. At this point Kyle recognised them. They were two of the four from his last dream.

"Estile what are you doing?" the boy asked.

She didn't turn towards him, "I'm sharpening my sword."

"Can't you get someone else to do that?"

The wheel came to a halt, "You've asked me that way too many times."

He laughed, "I know, it's because you enjoy it. Give's you time to think."

"If you know that, why are you here?" she finally looked at him slightly annoyed.

"Well dinner is almost ready. The kids are calling you."

"Is it that time already?" Estile stood up but didn't move towards the door and instead a glowing furnace like machine. "I'll be over in a second."

"Do you really need to charge your sword now?" the boy looked at her dubiously.

"The enchantments are getting thin," she replied. "Our last job took a big toll. At this rate we'll run out of money."

"And that's why we should charge more," the boy huffed.

Estile placed her sword into the furnace and from it lights burst out spinning rapidly into a complex array. Still talking as if it were nothing her fingers plucked against the strings rearranging them, "Hey you were the one who was acting all gallant about protecting the world."

"That's only because you asked that stupid question," a flush of red crossed his cheeks. "Besides we still need to eat."

"It's the price we pay to remain mostly anonymous. Can't have the church or anyone else knocking at our doors all the time." Finished she pulled her sword from the machine and swung it, "Hmm not bad."

"You done?"

"I am," she let out a sudden smile. "Come on Kyle let's eat. Everyone's waiting right?"

*

A splash of water covered Kyle's face and he spluttered awake, "Again, really!?" He turned to his father who was holding an empty glass.

"I was calling you," his father said smugly. "What, thoughts of those girls keep you awake last night?"

"No," Kyle pushed him away and wiped his face with his blanket. "Just weird dreams again."

"Right 'weird'."

"Please don't wink when you say that," Kyle sighed. "Just go already I'll be downstairs in a minute."

"Ah to be young," his father sighed dramatically and closed the door behind him narrowly avoiding the throne pillow.

For a moment Kyle just sat in his bed. The memories from the dream were still raw in his mind. He remembered when he first started having them he could barely make out the background. Sounds were mixed and almost inaudible and even when it got better their names were strangely hazy. Now however he had clearly heard them, Estile and Kyle. Was his name just a coincidence, a fabric of his imagination or something more? Regardless of what it was he didn't have the time to ponder over it and with a tired groan he began to get changed, ready for the day's work.