Chapter 39: The world at the end of the street. (Part 3)

Lav woke up too late, far too late. Her mind felt like it would split apart but as soon as she felt her consciousness return, only one thought was on her mind.

"Estile...," she groaned before her eyes had even opened.

A voice she hadn't heard in a long time responded, "Hey, she's coming round!"

A gentle hand cradled her back and as the light of world entered her vision she was welcomed to the colour of a pleasant sunrise orange, "Sephie?"

"Oh good looks like you remember me," the girl cheerily grinned and shifted her body revealing the other three behind her.

Lav almost jumped from her skin as she realised who they were, "Karen, Edgar, Kyle? How-. Estile!" A strike of realisation assaulted her and she tried to rise only to immediately fall.

"Whoa there Lav," Sephie held her and gently pulled her to a stand. "You're hurt. Take it easy."

"Where is Estile," she asked with an intensity that could have near pushed them all back.

Karen looked to the others before replying tenderly, "Estile and Arvel... they gave up their lives to handle the Sleeping God and in doing so, freed us."

All the strength that Lav had been gathering suddenly faded. Sephie surprised at the sudden drop almost let her slip but Kyle quickly picked up her other side.

"No...," she cried and shook her head. "No! Why did she- why now?"

"Because she wanted to save us all," Edgar replied stiffly. "Just like she always has."

"I know that...," Lav continued to let the tears fall, not even strong enough to wipe her cheeks. "But after all we went through, I at least thought that I'd be with her."

It was hard to look at the dejected girl as she only amplified the feelings of guilt that weighed inside them. Finally after some time, Karen stepped towards the exit leading back to the Canyon, "We can mourn their loss later. Right now we need to do as they asked and make sure the world is fine. Lav can you walk?"

"I-I can," it was a clear lie as with a single step she almost stumbled to the floor.

"Yeah that's a no," Kyle huffed and together with Sephie helped Lav out of the chamber.

The walk to the exit was slow and quiet. Lav barely had the energy to speak and all her thoughts directed to the love she had lost. More than anything it was the fear that she may never find it again. As for the others, though they believed what Estile and Arvel had told them, it was still hard to fathom. Each had their own thoughts wondering just what place they'd have in the world and what had happened to those that had already passed.

As they neared the first chamber the sound of fighting erupted. Karen and Edgar quickly focused and led the group forward to first observe.

"They're almost done!" a knight in black armour gilded gold yelled and pointed with his sword. "Push past to free our Lord."

Pelmont laughed goadingly, "Come and try. We've handled waves of you half-arsed knights we'll handle you as well. Maila support, Reina arm the cannon!" His bravado however was thinly veiled across the truth of his haggard body.

The two groups clashed violently. The defending side was clearly on the disadvantage, tired and injured with whatever equipment Pelmont had set up on their last legs. Still they refused to let the knights of Lavise pass.

Lav looked up and seeing their plight pointed, "Help them."

"Done," Karen stepped out from the passage and made herself known. With a single stomp of her foot fire spiralled across the room separated both sides. "Enough! End your squabble or force my hand."

Pelmont and Reina stared at the newcomers surprised, only comforted by the fact that Lav was with them. Maila however upon seeing Karen's flaming red hair fell to one knee in respect.

"I welcome Lady Karen of the Ever-Garden," she postured with her hands out.

The gilded knight however was not so appreciative of the sudden intruder and angered fired a rifle towards her. The bullet never made it, cut apart as Edgar suddenly appeared between them.

"I was fine," Karen said simply.

"Yeah but I wanted to show off," he smiled. "May I continue?"

"Go for it."

"Much appreciated." Within seconds he had overwhelmed the platoon of knights, adding them to the already unconscious pile that Pelmont had gathered.

With the threat over Pelmont immediately sat where he had been standing beside a makeshift wall. He rubbed his sore body and groaned, "Dear me I'm getting old."

"Are you alright?" Sephie asked as she and Kyle helped Lav along.

The veteran 1st Officer looked at the young women with orange hair and sighed, "Thank you for your concern, I'll be right soon enough. I assume you as well are much older than you look?"

"Yes all of us," Kyle answered for her. "Thank you for defending this point."

"Tis the least I could do," Pelmont nodded his head. He paused a moment noticing the missing figure, "Where's Kyle?"

"I'm here," Kyle replied.

"Not you," Lav poked his side with what little energy she had left. "He's asking about the better Kyle."

"I'm not sure how I feel about the whole name thing," he complained but quietly.

Maila approached them tentatively, to her they were all legends. The Heroes she had heard about through stories passed down by her ancestors, the same who once cared for the children of the Ever-Garden. She however had a stronger desire than respect to uphold, "Lillia, where's Kyle?"

Lav's mouth skewed unable to get the words to form, "He-She... Estile-Kyle, she'll be coming back later... much later."

Maila understood her words and unable to cope with her rising emotions fell to her knees shocked, "No..., the children. How will they-?"

"I said she's coming back," Lav spoke strongly with more hope than anything else. "Estile will come back! We just have to wait and when the time comes, find her."

Hearing the words said like a plea Maila forced herself to stand. With Lav as she was now, all she could see was Lillia, the young purple haired girl who she had cared for. Not hesitating she drew her into a warm embrace. Kyle and Sephie pulled back as the two clung to each other and Lav cried. The fight was over and it was now time to leave.

Down the passage and towards the canyon exit, Karen and Edgar led the way with Sephie and Kyle toting the unconscious knights of Lavise from behind. Edgar reached the exit first, his hand held to shield the sun from his eyes.

"It's a bit bright out," he said simply.

"Bright?" Reina picked up his words and looking to Maila and Lav ushered themselves faster. What welcomed them was the bright of the world. A blue wholesome sky and a sun shining down with all its might. No fog or clouds, it was a day the world had not seen in a very long time.

"What's wrong?" Karen asked as even Pelmont began to weep.

"Nothing," Lav replied, her eyes already filling with tears of pride. "They did it. They really did it. Our world is finally free."