Chapter 14: New sights (Part 3)

Kyle fell out of his bed still fully clothed. It was still dark outside with barely a sliver of light shining by the horizon. He stood slowly feeling surprisingly limber despite his terrible sleeping posture. For a long while he simply did nothing as his mind adjusted back to reality. The dream this time had been even stranger than the last. It felt as if he was slowly being pulled in and with every iteration it felt like he was becoming more involved as if he had been there himself.

The names of the Mercenaries lingered in his mind and at the forefront was Kyle's. He had to wonder if the fact they shared a name was by chance or something more. The man in his dreams was much taller than he was, had a fine layer of muscle and although he looked youthful, his gaze held a wealth of experience. Kyle looked into the mirror and sighed. His hat still lying on the bed, his half white and flaxen hair stood out clearly. Compared to the smooth brown of the dream Kyle's the two were as different as night and day. If anything he resembled the female Mercenaries more than the male ones.

Outside he could just see the corners of the incursion sight. At the moment there wasn't much activity but as time went on, the expanse of land would become more and more crowded and on the final night it would devolve into a battlefield of life and death. Just the thought caused his heart to beat in his throat. A steep question had stuck into his chest as he recalled his dream. What was the cause of the incursions? Although the demons in reality were different, there had to be something or someone pulling the strings and remembering the conversations between the Mercenaries, he knew just where to start looking. Gods and devils. Their world shrouded in fog had to be related somehow.

A slap resounded in the room as Kyle tried to clear his thoughts leaving a red mark on his cheeks. As much as he was interested in the world in his dreams, he still had a life to live right now and that meant there was work to do. After a shower and a change of clothes Kyle left his room feeling refreshed. The inn was quite large and everyone involved with the filming crew were currently staying there, including Lillia. It just so happened that her room was next to his and as he stood outside his door he couldn't help let his eyes linger on the wooden frame beside his.

It was still early morning and there was no telling if she was awake but nonetheless he felt inexplicitly drawn to knock on her door. Before he could however the simple wooden entrance opened.

"Ah Petty Officer Barker!" it wasn't Lillia but Rin the knight who had been friends with Tai. The young women became flustered as if she was seeing a celebrity, "D-did you need something?"

Kyle slowly lowered his hand that had been poised against the door, "Um no... well is Special Officer Lillia inside? I thought this was her room."

"Oh it is," Rin nodded. "Captain Bethial moved my accommodation here. He said to keep an eye on you both." Her innocent gaze suggested she didn't know the true reason why.

"Th-that's great," Kyle forced a smile.

"Yes I think it's a great honour!" she replied passionately. "I'm not sure if you were told but I've been transferred into the Advanced Scouting Party." Her tone softened, "Since I found about... things... I thought it was the least I could do for Tai."

"I see," Kyle smiled genuinely. "Thank you very much. If Lillia is awake tell her I'll be downstairs."

"I'll tell her," Rin replied dutifully and soon after closed the door.

Kyle awkwardly stepped away feeling oddly disappointed. After what the Captain had said before, of course it wouldn't be so easy to meet with her alone especially in an enclosed room. With no other plans and not quite wanting to meet Lillia with Rin present, he headed straight downstairs into the lobby. Aside from the reception and lounge area a café of sorts took up most the room and to Kyle's surprise Mr Devro sat at one of the tables sipping a hot drink. He was easily spotted as the older man waved to him friendlily.