Chapter 8: A Midnight Escape before the Dawn. (Part 3)

The three men wore different expressions. Bethial's firm and thinking, Valandus with a wry smile and Kyle lost. The Captain stood to his full height and gestured towards the shade.

"Let's get out of the sun for the moment," he led them to an area beside the back room and had them sit while he stood.

Valandus opened his mouth first, "Captain I know what Kyle did was kind of stupid but 1st Officer Pelmont was really pushing it. I mean if I didn't call you he-."

"I already understand Valandus," Bethial held his hand up. "I didn't expect things to proceed as quickly as they did, nor that Kyle would enter at this time. That being said," his eyes grew firm on the young man, "Kyle what you did was beyond reckless. Pelmont is rigid in his beliefs. I wouldn't have been surprised if he fired even while you stood in his way."

"Yes sir...," as much as he wanted to, Kyle knew he couldn't excuse his himself.

"Your determination and resolve however reminded me that you truly are a man suited for your job." The Captain smiled softly though his eyes were conflicted. "You won't be punished as I believe Pelmont went too far, but please understand that he as well wants what is best for this world."

Valandus clicked his tongue, "He can be a right old prick about it though."

"I remind you to watch your tongue around him Valandus," Bethial shook his head. "Unlike Kyle you're not immune."

"I'm immune?" Kyle stared at the two confused.

The Captain raised his eyes to Valandus, "You didn't tell him?"

"Tell him what Captain?" he winked in reply. "Though as the caretaker of the Hero candidates he does have quite a bit of sway."

Bethial sighed, "Have it your way. It's harmless enough at least."

"What's harmless? Did I do something?" Kyle was ignored.

A sudden feminine groan echoed from the open door leading into the back room, followed soon by another painful grit. Bethial gestured to Kyle that it was fine. He had seen the procedure before as Reina massaged the inner circuits of Lillia's body. From the sound then and now, it couldn't have been an enjoyable experience.

Several minutes passed before Reina exited the building with a tired flush, "Sir I've completed the procedure. Lillia is dressing herself. There were no complications other than the ordinary signs of exhaustion."

"Thank you Reina," the Captains stood. "Please take some time to ease yourself."

"Yes sir," the women found a seat and sat down, sighing as she did so. It was the first time Kyle had seen her look vulnerable.

"You could poke her cheeks and she wouldn't be able to do a thing," Valandus smirked. "Not that you should. She'd get you back tenfold. Besides she's one of the few experts in the city than can restructure mana pathways as complicated as the Hero's. That and she's strong as hell." He rubbed his neck as if reliving a memory.

Kyle breathed out heavily, "You're all amazing."

"I'd say that about you're cooking skills as well," he held the basket Kyle had dropped in one hand. "You brought it to share with Lillia right? She could use the pick me up."

Kyle took the basket with a grateful nod and walked to the back room lightly knocking against the still open door, "Lillia can I come in?"

"Ah Kyle? Wait a sec I'm not quite ready," the sound of hurried shuffling echoed from the room. "Alright you can come in now."

He entered slowly. Lillia was standing in the centre of the room, her skin was paler than usual and her cheeks a little sunken. In one corner the Hero's armour was discarded in a rough pile, beside them a small basket where the arm of Lillia's used uniform hung out. A masseuse's table lined one wall, while the rest of the room seemed normal enough. There was a table and small kitchen and large garage like door that lead elsewhere, presumably where they stored the equipment for training.