Chapter 11: A dance with more than one step. (Part 5)

The sun had set several hours ago and now that the Garden was bathed in night Maila paced across the floorboards anxiously. She had expected that Kyle would be a bit late but not this late. The children had already been ushered to bed and now she stood alone waiting. It had been a long time since she had felt as nervous as she was. When the children were sent to fight the demons she knew what to expect but now was different. Nothing should have gone wrong so then where was Kyle? Hundreds of thoughts spiralled into her mind at the possibilities, none of which were good. The best case he ran away having had enough, the worse... she barely wanted to hold the idea.

"Maila is Mr Kyle still not back yet?"

The voice caused her to jump and she quickly turned to see Himila, Mitsu and Kara, "Oh it's just you three. Didn't I say to go to sleep?"

"We're old enough not to have to be babied," Kara pouted. "Now answer the question, where's Mr Kyle? Didn't you say he would be back for dinner? That was hours ago."

"He's...," Maila struggled to remain composed under their scrutiny. It was rare for them show such deterrence. "He went shopping that's all."

Himila put her hands together, "Please Maila trust us. We talked and we don't want to be left out anymore. With Lillia gone we have to step up."

"I said he's just shopping!" her voice came out stronger than she intended causing her to immediately regret her reaction. "Sorry girls, I didn't mean to yell. Kyle will be back soon. You three don't need to worry."

"Well we are," Kara remained steadfast. "How can we not be when you are?"

Mitsu looked at towards their caretaker with a gentle apprehension, "Mr Kyle went to buy something for us didn't he? It's our birthday soon, we know."

"Exactly," Himila nodded, "if he left because of us we have the right to know."

Maila continually tightened and relaxed her hand as she faced the three of them, "Yes he left to get something for the three of you but it's not your fault he's late. He's just-," the words fell apart in her mouth as she saw their unwavering expressions. A soft smile split her lips. She realised she couldn't lie to them, not anymore. The children had grown up and more than ever. Her eyes hardened as she straightened her back, "Something is wrong. Kyle was meant to be back but now he isn't I don't know why. I can only assume something happened."

"Then let's find him!" Himila pounded her chest. "Kara can use her magic to find him right?"

Kara looked at her and sighed, "You make it sound so easy. To do that I'd need something to trace him like his hair, and even then it would-."

"You mean like this?" Mitsu held a small clump of hair that had been neatly tied.

"Why do you have that?" Himila and Kara looked at her suspiciously.

"Don't look at me like that," she moped. "I cut it when he was sleeping in the kitchen.... I had a dream I might need it so I kept it aside."

"Yeah cause that's not weird," Kara smirked.

"Just do the spell!" Mitsu thrust the hair into her face.

Maila stepped between them, "Just wait there you three. I didn't say that you could help."

"But-," the three began but were silenced by Maila's hand.

Her expression softened, "If it's just helping find where Kyle is I'll let you. Under no circumstances are you to leave the Garden."

"Okay!" Himila pushed Kara to the nearby table. "Go on do the thing."

"Stop being so pushy- I need a map first," Kara held back the green haired girl as Maila prepared the map of the city and its surroundings. Unless Kyle took the train out of the City he would show up somewhere. "Okay this type of magic is a bit tricky. Mitsu I'll need your help. You're good at this aren't you?"

"I can try," the girl brushed back her yellow hair and stood at attention.

Kara took her hand and light began to flow between them. The pieces of Kyle's hair floated above the map swirling as if on a non-existent wind. Maila watched in silence. She had seen the girls practice magic before but not like this. When she thought back on her first years as a caretaker, the difference now and then were night and day. They had more than just grown up and now even went out of their way to help the people they cared for despite what she said. The magic however suddenly began to fizzle and a bright eruption of colour flew across the map scattering the hair.

"Did you screw up?" Himila asked.

Kara frowned, "No... me and Mitsu did it perfectly, not that you would know. The only explanation is he isn't on the map. Well that or something is blocking the magic."

Maila felt her jaw clench. Neither outcome boded well. "You girls stay here and try again. I'm going to make a call." She quickly left and headed to the private room where they usually held their meetings. A single phone was laid out on the nearby desk. Within seconds she had it connected and waited for the dial tone to end.

A click and a man's voice responded, "This is 1st Officer Bethial Vonteur speaking."

"Bethial it's me."

"Maila? It's quite late. The line might not be secure if you want to talk I'll head over right away."

Her hand gripped the wire cord, "We don't have time for that. Kyle is missing."

"Missing? Just where did he go?"

"I sent him shopping but he hasn't come back and no, I didn't have anyone tail him or track him."

There was a pause before a stiff reply, "You don't think Kyle-."

"Bethial don't you dare say he was a spy. We both trusted him," again her words came out stronger than she intended, though this time she didn't care.

"My apologies, you are correct. I'll have someone try divine his location-."

"Kara and Mitsu already did. There was a negative reaction. Either he's not in the city surroundings or someone is stopping us."

Another pause, "I see. We've invested quite a lot into Kyle, I'd rather not lose him. I'll send out the Guard. It shouldn't be hard to rise a response considering he's now our poster boy."

"Thank you Bethial."

"It's the least I could do. I'll head over as soon as I've made preparations." The phone clicked sounding its dead tone.

Maila stood still holding the receiver hard enough that it began to crack. A single thought carried in her head, Please be okay. If Lillia woke and he was gone, she might not be able to handle it.