Chapter 6: What can and can't be done. (Part 3)

(Wednesday's part because I'll be away)

In a wide room far from the training grounds a small group of the Hero's Guard sat in waiting, among them was Kyle. The first thing to notice was that each of the members of the Guard we're all exceptionally good looking, holding a certain charismatic trait. A tall man with fine amounts of muscle, an intellectual women, a man with a charming smile, a rugged man with a closely shaved beard and finally Kyle who exuded a sense of innocence. Any passer-by would wonder if they were the poster group for the Hero's Guard. Each would have made a fine career as a model elsewhere though that was a statement that Kyle himself would heavily argue against. On the far side of the room was a single green sheet spread across the wall and before it a camera. Aside from Kyle the other four members understood why they had been brought inside. Kyle himself wasn't even sure what half the things in the room actually were.

One by one the members of the Hero's Guard were called up at the instruction of 1st Officer Leela. Beside her was another man, one who did not wear the uniform of the guard and had a certain piercing gaze. Each member was handed a script and asked to recite the lines while facing the camera before dismissing them. Eventually it was Kyle's turn as the other had all gone before him.

The 1st Officer finally called his name, "Petty Officer Barker please rise."

"Y-yes ma'am," he stood up rigidly and approached.

"Okay, what I need you to do is very simple. Just stand there and state your name, rank and read these lines."

"I'll try my best," Kyle replied a little confused before moving in place.

"I'll give you the signal when to start," Leela's voice transmitted straight into his head causing him to jump.

The man beside Leela couldn't help smile, "Where did you find this girl? She looks a little young to be a member of the Hero's Guard." If Kyle could hear them he would have corrected their misunderstanding however unknown to him he had already been isolated.

"She wasn't on the list. I just noticed her in passing and decided to bring her along," the 1st Officer replied easily.

"Hmm," the man scratched his chin. "She's got a cute face and I like her appeal but her haircut is a bit boyish. Make her put this hat on." He handed her an officer's cap.

Leela tapped her head and spoke, "Officer Barker please come wear this hat."

Again Kyle jumped at the sudden sound in his head but approached regardless taking the offered hat and wore it.

"Perfect," the man grinned. "She looks exactly the part now. Get her to try read the lines."

The 1st Officer touched her head again, "Please read the script and be as clear as possible."

"Ah yes ma'am," Kyle replied. His voice crossed the boundary towards the two a bit hazily. The magic however was working as intended and isolated his position allowing the camera to capture it much better. Kyle of course had no way of knowing this and began to read, "State your name- Oh! Petty Officer 3rd Class Kyle Barker. The Hero's Guard is the- is the key of our world. By supporting us you also support the Eternal Hero."

"She's too stiff," the 1st Officer sighed. "No luck today either. I'll have to go over the list again. There was that one Special Officer who was quite keen to help us but... she's retired now."

The man scratched his chin, "Well it makes sense that members of the Guard can't act. You're all quite busy with other duties." His eyes suddenly widened as if realising something, "Wait that might just be it. Tell her to throw away the script and just say why she joined the Hero's Guard."