Chapter 20: Doubt (Part 1)

Chapter 19: Doubt

"Hey Kyle! Wake up! Damn it, don't make me kiss you. Kyle!"

"Gah!" Kyle woke up gasping as desperately violent hands shook him. He quickly gathered his surrounds. He was still in the Hero's training ground, the armour collapsed around him and gripping against his shirt tightly was Valandus.

"Thank the Hero," the driver breathed out and held Kyle firmly. "Are you okay? Do you need a medic?"

"I'm fine," Kyle replied steadily.

"How are you fine? You put this damn armour on and collapsed! If you're hurt just say it." It was clear that Valandus was desperate but Kyle really was perfectly fine. "Can you see? How many fingers am I holding up? Try move your legs, if you can't do that then your fingers at least.

"Valandus really I'm okay," Kyle pushed him away gently and stood up himself. "I can see perfectly and my body works. I just fell asleep that's all."

The driver wasn't convinced, "The last man I saw put that armour on was crippled to the point where he couldn't move. He died of heart failure a week later."

"Yes... but I'm...," it took a moment for him to find the word, "different." He picked up the ornately carved gauntlet, "When I put on the armour nothing changed. I didn't feel anything. Not even an ounce more strength or magic. Just simple and plain armour."

"That can't be," Valandus shook his head then paused. "Why did you put it on anyway?"

"Because I thought I could be the Hero," Kyle threw up his hands exasperated. "Because if I was the Hero then Lillia and the other children wouldn't have to... just like the Hero from twenty years ago." He kicked the armour by his feet, "But I got nothing." A sudden sharp flick smacked in the centre of his forehead, "Ow!"

"You could have died Kyle," the usually casual man was firm. "Thank your lucky stars the armour really didn't work. Besides while you may have been able to wear it for a short time, the armour is bound to Lillia. Until she... passes... the armour won't truly be usable for anyone else. What you did was beyond stupid. There can only be one Hero at a time."

As frustrated as he was Kyle had to admit what he had done was reckless, "I understand... I just-."

"I know it's frustrating. Even with all our effort we're still powerless to what we put those children through," the driver sighed. "Now help pack this up. I'll keep this a secret from the others for now. You really are lucky I was passing through and not Reina."

"Thank you." At the current time he really didn't want to deal with the fallout of his actions. The disappointment was still fresh and more so was the reeling sense of shock left over from his dream.

It didn't take long for the two of them to put away the armour and clean up the grounds as if nothing ever happened. Judging by the light from the artificial sky it was still early in the morning, which meant the children shouldn't have woken up yet. If Kyle wasn't back by the time Maila and Lillia came out they would get suspicious. But first he had some questions to ask.

"Hey Valandus what do you know about the Church?"

The driver couldn't help be surprised at the question and thought for a moment, "Hmm that's a question alright. Now I think about it, not much. They sign my pay check, are our top commanders, generally deal with anything Hero related and are tied to the heads of all the cities. The specifics," he shrugged. "Is this about your meeting later?"