Chapter 37: The duet of a coward. (Part 4)

Valandus himself was trying to run as fast as he could. As soon as the first small pop sounded he was already halfway to the back door. As the larger explosions began to ring he had reached it and just before things got too messy he had already closed the door behind him. It was unfortunate then that though he escaped, he didn't do so unharmed. Gritting his teeth he pulled a small shard from his side. Despite all the shelving a single piece had still managed to pierce him, though that itself could be considered lucky.

As Valandus ran he tended to his wound. His mind was alight as it tried to hold the memory of the Sky Fortress within his mind. There was no doubt in his mind that Urza would come out alive. Even before he had taken Philius' side he was a formidable fighter. What he needed now was to escape and come up with a plan.

"Valandus!" Urza's scream indicated that the traitor was hot on his trail.

He span around and began to fire into the walls of the corridor. What looked like random shots burst into the underlying piping releasing a torrent of white gas. As he turned the corner he caught a glimpse of Urza freeze before the obstruction and smiled. The gas was harmless being mostly steam, but Urza couldn't know that and the few seconds spared Valandus enough time to gain some distance.

The problem remained however that Valandus was in a pickle. He had truly expected Urza to be down below. The self-important man wasn't one to miss the changing of the world that Philius offered, especially if he was a key player in it. The fact that he was here, the fact that Valandus had to face him, it was something he couldn't avoid.

"Sorry Reina but it looks like this one's mine," he sighed and pressed his bloodied hand against the wall, his feet coming to a rest. "I'll finish this for the both of us."

Urza soon caught up and gloated immediately, "Did you finally realise running was useless?"

"Well at least in this direction, yes," Valandus drew his dagger and held his pistol in the other.

"Ha!" Urza laughed spitefully. "You think you stand a chan-." His words caught in his throat as suddenly Valandus ran towards him. Two bullets fired forcing Urza to defend and in that space of time Valandus reached him. The first strike arced his unprotected neck. Urza narrowed his gaze and stepped back out of reach, preparing to swing his sword in reply. Again Valandus fired his pistol forcing Urza to retreat. Valandus however kept close, his dagger already flashing forwards.

Annoyed, Urza moved to parry the blow only to find empty air as Valandus suddenly stepped back. His erratic movements were a far cry from any standard form of martial arts, while confusing, Urza however simply smiled. His parry instead became a wide swing as he stepped forward, sword moving far faster than an ordinary man could follow. Valandus' eyes hardened in focus. He could feel his muscles tense as they forced his body down, the sword streaking across the wisps of his hair. Then came the snap that echoed through his bones. A jolt of more than just muscle crackled and pushed him forward as he lunged towards Urza, dagger pointed straight. The metal's edge cut through Urza's coat but failed to reach his skin as the man leaned back. What followed was the rapid fire of Valandus' pistol. The resounding shots continued to ring until the chamber clicked empty. Urza scowled as he deflected the bullets, each impact forcing him to an even more awkward stance.

"Melissa now!" Valandus yelled and charged.

Urza's senses went wild as he tried to flush out the oncoming attack. His mana turned within, ready to defend himself. As a once 1st Officer of the Hero's Guard he knew of Melissa's past and how deadly she was, much more deadly than the man in front of him. The assassin's blade however never came and with his attention diverted Valandus swung past. Practiced fingers flicked across Urza's waist, their target, the pass that hung on his belt. Had Urza not been distracted there was not a chance he wouldn't have stopped him, but like he was, Valandus held his prize, a determined grin plastered on his face.