Chapter 12: Awakening (Part 1)

Ren Gardenchild worked at his desk silently. There was a lot of paper to sort since the invasions and being an official of the Church of the Sleeping God, it meant his next few nights weren't going to be easy. The half elf and half beastkin man sighed as he stared at the endless amount of words before him. They were reports from all over the world and most where the same, a plea for help. Even as large as the Church was, there was no possible way to assist everyone. He could only imagine how hard it was for the Mercenaries of the Ever-Garden who raised him.

A soft click alerted his ears causing them to twitch. He quickly scanned the room for anything strange. It was quite late in the night and aside from himself there should have been no one nearby. Slowly as if nothing was wrong his hand reached towards the loaded crossbow hidden beneath his desk. Before he could touch it however a warm voice sounded.

"Whoa there kid no need to get twitchy." The shadow beside the cabinet shifted forming into a dark clothed man.

"Riften?" Ren's eyes were wide with surprise. "What are you doing here?"

The door opened revealing a familiar white haired girl, "Giving you a fright that's what. The idiot can't use a door like a normal person."

Riften smirked, "We, Estile, are not normal people. Besides giving Ren a good old scare brings me back to when he was just a bub."

As much as he was happy to see them Ren's eye twitched at their comments. He relaxed back into his chair, "There's some tea in the pot over there. Help yourself."

"Don't mind if I do," Estile cheerfully moved across the room serving them each a cup.

"Seems like you're pretty busy," Riften gestured to the pile of documents on his desk. "Arvel and Lav are in the same predicament. Though their pile is about this high." He pointed to his waist. "Thankfully I'm not great in the whole bookkeeping thing so I wasn't dragged in."

"I know," Ren smiled and took the cup poured for him. "Now I really am glad to see you but I'm guessing you're not here just to make sure I'm fine."

"Actually that's what I'm here for," Estile smiled warmly. "Making sure our kids are all safe and sound. Riften on the other hand has some questions."

"I'm guessing these are about the demons?"

"Demons?" both Estile and Riften said at the same time.

"Oh sorry that's just what we've ended up calling them. No one really knows who or where they came from so the old legend stuck."

Riften nodded, "In that case yes. We've been really busy since they first came. Your mother here got practically burnt to a crisp during the battle for Ardentgrad."

"Are you okay?" Ren had to ask.

"Of course I am," Estile laughed. "If I couldn't survive a single annihilation spell then I would have died a long time ago. Figuratively speaking."

Riften continued, "Point is we need your help. We've got all our contacts running information but we're coming short. It's been three days and no one knows a damn thing. Most countries are still trying to build up their defences but the Church of the Sleeping God already has eyes and ears practically in every city, even those that wouldn't welcome us."

"I see," Ren paused to think. "Of course I'll help but why wouldn't you go visit the head priests yourself? I'm just an official and not that close to the top either."