Chapter 5: A Garden with Something Else. (Part 2)

Together with the Captain, Kyle exited the bay and headed down the same corridor Lillia had left from. It was clear however they weren't going to the same place as several passages broke out to other areas. There were no signs or indications on where to go but under Bethial's guidance Kyle had nothing to worry about.

The Captain spoke as they walked, "It's easy to get lost here and you'll have to memorise the routes. Don't expect a sign to tell you where to go."

"Isn't that a problem?" he could already tell he would have trouble himself.

"It can be for new recruits like you, however if things were too easy to find, our enemies would also benefit."

"Enemies?" Kyle could only think of the demons and monsters outside the fog but there was no way they could make it inside.

"The Four States and Central work in tandem but are not always harmonious. If it weren't for the Hero's influence, civil wars would have broken out many times already." He stopped outside a certain door, "That's why the truth that you saw is hidden. The Hero is the defining figure of our world and sits at the strongest peak. Humans are ambitious by nature and there are some who can only be stopped by a force far greater than they are."

Kyle nodded as the Captain opened the door and led him inside. It was a simple room with no other entrances. On one wall was a bookshelf partially filled and in the centre was a single table with a chair on either end. Several strange looking tools were set against the wall waiting to be used and as Kyle was ushered inside the Captain picked one up. Without asking the Captain took his arm and attached a smooth plate to it. A small lead led from it to another orb like tool.

The Captain left him and sat down on one end of the table leaving Kyle to stare at the device he was now attached to. "Sit down and make yourself comfortable."

"Ah yes," Kyle did as he was told.

"Please answer the following questions as honestly as you can." With a flick of the Captain's hand the orb lit up. "What is your name?"

"Kyle Barker."

"How old are you?"

"17 but I will be 18 in the coming few months." He could feel a slight anxiousness spread inside him as the orb flickered.

"Have you lived anywhere beside the Village of Tomph?"

"Aside from a few visits around Trentheim no."

"What is your main occupation?"

"Baker."

"Have you ever studied magic before?"

"Aside from the book you gave me, no."

The Captain's eyes hardened momentarily, "Do you believe in any religion other than the Church of the Hero?"

"Umm no?" Kyle didn't even know there was another religion.

"Do you hold any aggression to the Hero?"

He firmed himself, "No."

"Have you ever been a part of the military before?"

"No."

Time passed as the Captain continued to question him and prob his background. Most of what he said Kyle could only reply with a meek 'no' as the terms flew over his head.