Chapter 38: The places we should have been. (Part 3)

There was only one more place to go which would lead them to the end of the temple and the altar where the Sleeping God once resided. Without Maila and Reina, the atmosphere became heavier despite Lillia's earnest encouraging smile. If he had to tell the truth, Kyle didn't expect Philius to be able to turn a person into a monster like he had with Anna. Though they had dealt with it swiftly, that creature was easily on the level of a primarch. The question begged how much stronger Philius had become, from what he knew, the stronger ones ego, the stronger they could become as false gods. Then there was what would come after...."

"Lillia I need to tell you something," Kyle began abruptly, suddenly stopping in the passage.

Lillia who skidded to a stop a few feet ahead turned back, "What's up?"

He took a deep breath, "I'm going to end this today."

"Well yeah, that is the plan," she folded her arms confused.

"No, I mean I'm going to end everything. The fog, our failures, I'm going to right it all today." He paused and firmed his expression, "No matter what."

Lillia picked up on his words easily and frowned in reply, "No! I won't let that happen. We'll finish this yes, but don't you dare die on me."

"Trust me when I say I don't want to, but...."

"But what!?" she stomped her foot causing dust to fall form the ceiling. "You always, always, always take everything on yourself. Do you know how that feels? I know you're strong but I get anxious each time. What if she never comes back? What if I never tell her how I really feel? And now that I have, how could I let you go!" She rambled on, each word firing after the other. "I will not let you die! Not when there's even the slightest chance I won't see you again."

Despite the aggression in her words Kyle felt his heart warm, "You... you really did love me that much even back then?"

The question caught Lillia off guard causing her to blush, "Well yeah.... I came close a few times to telling you, but the original you was not interested in love and the second you was really different and surprised me. Ah, not that I didn't like the second Estile, in fact I loved her even more. With you I finally got my chance." She smiled brightly and reached for his hand, "So please, don't leave me behind."

"I really do love you," Kyle took her hand and pulled her close. As they let go he once again firmed his beliefs. "Let's end this together."

"I'm all yours."

*

Philius Tombre sat on top the altar on a makeshift throne of mechanical equipment. His position wasn't simply for the power trip but also one of necessity. It was the centre point of the Sleeping God's domain, the same location where the Mercenaries of the Ever-Garden once vanished to defeat the God itself. Philius was tapping into that power. Cables stuck into his arms and back, glowing an ominous black and on the surface of his skin dark tendrils had formed all stemming towards a single midnight core within his chest. The man himself had very much changed. No longer past his prime, he instead had returned to it, showing a perfect representation of what he could have been at that age.

A handsome smirk split his lips as Kyle and Lillia entered the room, "Welcome. You came at a good time to witness my moment of true rebirth." He gestured grandly and as he did so two knights in gilded armour stepped into the open, kneeling towards him.

Kyle was quick to note that the two knights had also undergone some kind of transformation, though one much less severe compared to Anna. Though they remained human in form, the two reminded him of false gods. Philius however, emitted a much more dangerous energy.