Chapter 29: A step in motion. (Part 2)

"So what's the plan?" Valandus yawned as they all once more stood in Lady Marigold's office. It was early in the morning but each had managed to get a good rest. In the room however was the addition of Mica, who clung to Riften's side in guise of a normal human child, and Reina, who through some well-done healing was almost fighting fit. While her body was ready, her mind had just gone through a heavy blow as Melissa and Valandus had relayed the dump of information on her a little earlier.

Reina still having not recovered from the mental strain pushed onwards, "We need to act as soon as possible. Though the Garden has its defences there are ways in. Worse, I believe Councilman Tombre isn't just aiming for control of the Church but the artefacts it's collected as well. He knows something we don't." Her expression darkened, "There's no telling what he'll do to our comrades to get what he wants."

Melissa comforted her, "The Captain will be fine."

Valandus agreed wholeheartedly, "That man isn't someone so easily beat. He probably has his own plans running as well."

"The problem remains how we get in," Reina bit her lip. "While we have members of the Guard in the city, our communication with them was split. There's no way for us to easily build an offensive and just us against hundreds of Lavise Guards and Knights, not to mention the sky fortress..., I'll be honest, I don't see this happening."

"About the sky fortress," Riften chimed in with a cunning grin, "let me take care of it. From the way you described it, it sounds like it was based off something we once took down a long time ago. As long as someone who understands the new tech comes with me, we could shut it down long enough where it won't be a problem."

"Then I'd be your man," Valandus pointed to himself. "I was privy to its making." He looked to Kyle and purposefully nodded, "I'll leave it to you to make sure Maila and the children are safe."

"That's my full intention," Kyle replied easily.

"Though," Valandus tapped his chin in thought, "how do we get in? Our airship is fast but it's noisy and pretty obvious. We'd be seen miles away."

"Did Estile not tell you that I can fly? I've also got some pretty strong arms," Riften flexed his muscles, grinning.

"That sounds... uncomfortable. Though I guess there's no other option."

"What about Mica?" Lillia asked. "Do you want us to look after her? If Kyle and I can get her into the Garden she'll be safe."

"No!" the young devil adamantly rejected the plan. "I'm staying with Papa."

"Is that fine?" Lillia clearly showed her concern.

Riften laughed, "Girl, we survived twenty years in the fog. Mica in many ways is stronger than you."

Reina folded her arms, "Then I'll trust the previous Hero to take care of the sky fortress but what about the rest of us? The city has been locked down. While we can take the airship to get closer, there are only so many places we can land without being seen, all of which are far from the city."

"About that," Lady Marigold smiled. "I may know someone who can help."

*

"Kyle it's been far too long!" Mr Devro welcomed them with open arms. Now midday the boisterous man ushered them into his mansion. The rather large establishment existed on the upper end of the city outskirts and with Riften and Lillia's help, made a perfect place to land unseen.

"Mr Devro," Kyle shook the man's hand. "Thank you for doing this."

"You know I was never able to thank you in person for saving my life," he smiled. "Consider this just a small token of my gratitude. Besides, I don't particularly like our new sky piece."

Outside and hovering above the capital was the sky fortress. The hunk of technology was based around an enormous diamond shaped rock with a large belt around it serving as a staging platform. Overall it spanned close to four hundred metres, and though far away, its dominating presence was hard not to feel.

Riften nodded, "Like I thought, it's based off the Julius."

"The Julius?" Kyle turned his head.

"You don't remember?" Riften rubbed his chin. "Achdevil Ortas built it and used it to attack the human kingdoms. It was a right pain to deal with."

"And how did you deal with it?" Lillia asked.

"We created the first grand annihilation spell and blew it from the sky."

Reina frowned, "I'd rather you try not to destroy our world's assets even if it belongs to Councilman Tombre."

"It's not like I know how to cast one, the only one of us who could without help was Karen," Riften simply shrugged.

Mr Devro looked at the black haired man with interest, "Kyle your new friend here seems quite a character."

"You only know a fraction of it," Kyle sighed. "We don't have much time, we need to finalise our plan."

"Of course, but let us not do that in the hallway," Mr Devro led them further into the complex and to a table ready with food. "Unfortunately I couldn't prepare as much as I would have liked. When I got the call from Lady Marigold, I honestly didn't think you could make it here in just so few hours. I'd quite like one of those flying machine myself. We could get the most amazing shots."

Valandus sat down, "Well Mr Devro, help us with this and I'll put you on the list. Lady Marigold said you knew a way into the city."

"Not just into the city but beneath the temple directly!" the man sat himself and clapped. "It was during our filming of The Nine Knights. One of my contacts alerted me to a magnificent system of tunnels near the northern outskirts."

"Oh!" Melissa nodded. "Was that from the sewer chase scene? I loved that part."

"Yes and thank you," Mr Devro beamed. "Though it wasn't used in the final movie, there was a large waterway that flowed beneath the ground. At the time we deemed it too dangerous to inspect but a while later I decided to investigate it myself. The waterway leads straight beneath the city and up to the temple. Unfortunately I never found where it came out once there."

"And you never reported this?" Reina grumbled.

The man feigned guilt, "It slipped my mind until but a moment ago."

Valandus looked to Melissa and Reina, "It's better than nothing. I'll be heading up with Riften. It's you two how are leading the ground team."

"As you said it's better than nothing," Reina nodded. "However we'd need a way to get through the waterway in the first place. Mr Devro what did you use?"

"An ancient artefact I won from Lady Marigold in a round of gambling." He grinned, "She is still quite sore about that. You are of course free to borrow it."

Kyle looked to Riften, as they both knew what artefact it was likely to be.

Valandus stood up, "Then it's settled. Riften, Mica and I will head to the sky fortress and disturb its operation. Reina will lead Melissa, Kyle and Lillia through the underground waterway and into the temple grounds. Our goal is clear, eliminate any Lavise threat from the temple and compound, and expel them from the city."

"That's great and all," Kyle began, "but how do we do that?"

"I have no idea."