Chapter 14: New sights (Part 2)

As the sun set, a large truck pulled into the boundary of the incursion sight. The south eastern district of the city which had once been a hive of buildings and life was now reduced to no more than flat earth and the remaining foundations. It was an odd sight compared to the rest of the intricately designed city and a far cry from what anyone would call appealing. The men and women who camped at the edges worked away seriously as they removed the last of the rubble and began to set up their weapons of war. Kyle who saw it all gaped at the difference.

"Welcome to the incursion sight," the Captain said with casual ease as they disembarked the truck.

"What happened? Kyle asked unable to comprehend the vast difference in their surrounds.

"It's simple actually," Reina replied for him. "Fighting demons is hard enough in the open. In a place with tight corners and buildings our artillery and firepower wouldn't even be 20% as effective."

"So you got rid of everything?"

"Yes. That's why we've arrived earlier than usual," Reina began to jot some notes down in her book. "It looks like the area will be clear in time. We should thank the Elmori council for their diligence."

"It is a shame though," Valandus said as he gazed at the flattened city. "There used to be a few fine shops here. Good places to eat and drink."

Kyle firmed himself, "Better to be safe then risk it all."

"My thoughts exactly," Bethial agreed. "We've had trouble before which resulted in more forceful measures but it would seem the people have become more understanding."

A light feminine voice suddenly sounded towards them, "And who do you have to thank for that?" 1st Officer Leela raised her arms in welcome.

"Leela," the Captain dipped his head. "You're here early."

"I arrived last night. Couldn't sit still in my office and the crew were getting antsy as well." She smiled towards Kyle, "Now that our star is here however we can get started."

"Already?" Kyle blinked in surprise.

"Of course. We want you up on that crest with a wide shot of the incursion zone explaining what's going on. Like you said. It's time the people knew what we have to deal with and who better to tell them than you." Her hand gripped against him gently but left no room for refusal.

"I-ugh...," his eyes snapped towards Lillia who was still trying to absorb the situation herself.

"I'm coming too!" she shouted and ran after them.

The Captain watched them leave and smiled softly. He had seen many Heroes come and go but even he had to admit that Lillia was special. The way she carried herself was something he hadn't seen even in normal girls her age. More so than ever he wanted a happier ending and wondered just how far he'd have to go to achieve it.

He straightened his back, "Okay we have work to do."

"Yes sir!" Reina and Valandus both saluted.

*

Etty Hill as it was called, wasn't large, but an open space that was loved by the surrounding districts as a place to relax and watch the city go by. Named after a particularly kind hearted wizard who had recreated many of the magic of old, the hill had a soothing air. It however had been sealed off from the public and now was the sight of a variety of people. A mixed group of armoured knights stood at attention among the surrounding people who fiddled with a selection of tools and cameras.