Chapter 9: A long wait. (Part 7)

As she landed Estile understood what the King meant. The black creatures ignored her even with her standing directly beside them. Their eyes didn't even register that she was there and their bodies subconsciously avoided her.

"Let's see if you can ignore this," she drew her blade and in a powerful motion swung it around her. A blast of force caused the black armoured soldiers to shatter away and break into a strange ooze before vanishing. It was a strange feeling. To best describe it, the creatures where as hard as they should be till they weren't. As if at the exact point where their energy faded they'd break away to nothing. Her actions however picked up their ire as suddenly the eyes behind their closed helmets flashed a dull red. A moment later they charged.

The clash of metal on metal broke into the air all across the battlefield and like an angel of war Estile ran rampant among the field. Her strength was unlike anything the common soldiers had ever seen and only heard of in passing tales. This was a Mercenary of the Ever-Garden, one of the Heroes who could be traced down the annals of history. She flashed in and out of the battlefield targeting the areas where the Ardentgrad troops were under pressure allowing them to retreat and recuperate. It was a battle of attrition that would normally be fought behind the city wall but the enemy was too numerous and the soldiers too few. Not having enough men to defend the entire wall they instead focused the dark creatures into the natural choke of the valley. If they fell now it would mean the loss of the city and those inside.

Minutes passed into dozens quickly wearing down the defending troops. As much as Estile held them together she couldn't be everywhere and countless times saw the brave men and women cut down. Some she saved, others she couldn't. No matter how strong she was, she wasn't a god. As time progressed the situation became increasingly more desperate as she was forced to work herself harder and harder to make up for the lost and wounded. At first her armour was unblemished, then the scratches began to build and the clothes beneath tore. Her skin however remained immaculate as the small cuts healed in an instant. Still even she had her limits.

"Estile!" the voice broke through her mind causing her to suddenly stop mid swing.

She jumped back away from the black soldiers towards the city walls, "Arvel! What happened?"

The voice, strained, replied quickly, "We have new information. The enemies you're fighting are all the same."

"I thought as much. How do I get rid of them?" she huffed tiredly and wiped the sweat from her forehead.

"Edgar and Orpheus made a breakthrough. The enemy are appearing from a single spawn. Most likely it's somewhere hard to see and reach. Should be about 50 metres across. Look for a green shimmer, once you're close you'll feel a spark. Also watch out, apparently the ones protecting it are much stronger, enough to give you trouble. Hold them off as long as you can till one of us can come help."

Estile looked to the line of soldiers barely holding on. At this point almost all of them were injured in some way and there were no more fresh reserves to send in. "No can do Arvel. I'll head in myself."

"Estile even for you that's too much. Remember what Karen said. None of us are dying."

"I don't plan to idiot," she snapped back. "Once I'm done here I'll head over and help."

There was a slight pause before Arvel replied, "Fine but please look after yourself."

"See you later then," she smiled despite him not being able to see. A click in her mind signalled the connection breaking.

"Lady Estile!" before she could move Aravest appeared before her. The knights along with him hadn't decreased in number though they had definitely seen better days.