Chapter 17: Gambit (Part 2)

"This is crazy," Valandus stared up at the monstrosity of metal they had created. The usual truck had been heavily fortified with shielding and turrets. Although it looked formidable the actual construction had been rushed and many of the connections were barely in place.

Kyle stood on the roof easy to see from all angles, "Well it needs to protect us from the artillery and the demons."

"It needs to protect you. Like hell I'm going out there."

"Oh...," Kyle was visibly disappointed. "Then stay safe."

"I'm joking," the driver laughed and slapped the side of the truck. "The only one who can really drive this thing is me. Seriously... it's really only me."

"Then I'll make sure to protect us both," Kyle smiled reassuringly.

Valandus blinked surprised by his expression, "Wow, when did you become so confident all of a sudden? What, did it come with new hair colour?"

"Probably," Kyle laughed and rubbed his head. The change in his hair coincided with a lot of things and more than that, it reminded him of Estile. If he could even show a fraction of her in himself he'd be better for it.

"Are you two ready?" Bethial strode between them suddenly. He was fully equipped with armour and a huge sword strapped on his back. The already formidable man looked even more so.

"So you really are coming with us," Valandus said with clear mixed feelings.

"In the end it was my call and I'll be the one to see it through." He looked to the sky, "Besides if the worst does happen I need to be close to support the Hero."

"What about Reina?" Kyle asked.

"She's to stay here and assist the others in any way possible."

Valandus smirked, "Oh I bet she loved that decision."

"Unlike some of my subordinates she does what she's told," his eyes pointed towards the two of them. "Now enough chatter. Get ready, we leave as soon as possible."

"Yes sir!" the two saluted.

Within minutes the rest of the volunteers had gathered. No one was made to join them against their will. In all likelihood there mission would be incredibly hazardous especially if Kyle's ability as bait was true. Not only would the demons be after them but the supporting artillery from the base would be aimed at their backs and as much as it helped, a stray shot would mean their end. Most the volunteers were members of the Hero's Guard but a few from Elmori, Trentheim and Elleneste joined them. The knights of Lavise chose to work a different angle.

The truck was soon ready. Though the fog was thick, a tracker had been placed on it so the area around it could be targeted. The knights and members of the Guards were positioned inside and on top the vehicle with the main purpose of distracting the demons. In the case they found their target, the Captain and a select group of Elite would disembark and deal with it. That was the plan at least, and as Kyle stood on top the truck in a strenuously precarious position he really could only hope it worked.

"Advance!" the call came from Bethial and the truck made a sudden push as it accelerated. Cheers resounded from all over the surroundings as those that stayed behind ran to their posts. This was going to be their last stand.

As soon as they passed through the barrier and into the open ground the demons shifted their way causing wafts of the dense grey to flair. Valandus drove straight forward and several stray demons who were in their path were quickly expelled by the fire coming from the truck's own defences. What came after however was a very clear indication that Kyle was speaking the truth.