Chapter 8: A Midnight Escape before the Dawn. (Part 5)

"Fire!" 1st Officer Pelmont commanded and the array of cannons behind him flew into action heaving back and bursting forth flames. When he had heard the offer given by Bethial he had scoffed. As the one who had been training the Hero for the past decade he knew how best to use the armour and the physical devastation it could cause across the battlefield. Truth be told when he heard of Jana's passing his heart had broken. The green haired girl was someone who shone and was the representation of what the Eternal Hero stood for. Her way of fighting and charisma reminded him of the stories told before the Eternal Hero vanished, back before they had to make these sacrifices. He had hoped that she would break the cycle and remain Hero for years to come. That wasn't what happened however and now he faced the next candidate. Although she had a gift for magic, her sense of battle was barely on par with the others. Even with her superior use of mana it would only grant her a small advantage or so he thought.

As the cannons fired the 1st Officer couldn't help but be curious. When the test began the girl stood firm without doubt and further still allowed Kyle to stand beside her on the field. With even one wrong movement to protect him he would be obliterated by the explosions. Yet her confidence did not waver and truly she looked like the Hero of old, ready for what was to come.

The first round exploded sending shockwaves across the room and throwing burnt smoke into the air. It looked like a direct hit but did it not end there as the second and third volley was fired. It was at the moment of the fourth that the 1st Officer realised something was wrong. The smoke hadn't faded and the amount of eruptions didn't match. His answer came just as he was about to call the command to cease fire.

In a rush the smoke cleared revealing the Hero standing having not moved an inch. Behind her the boy was unharmed but what surprised him more was the display that assaulted his eyes. As a soldier of the Hero's Guard he had done more than just fight demons and had gone out to apprehend criminals, some who were mighty magicians. The magic they used then seemed like child's play to what he saw now. Lances of ice pointed towards him ready to fire, a defensive array waiting to be used and even the shells he had fired, frozen in time and turned around to be used against him.

"Are we done here?" Lillia said through the Hero's voice.

His reaction surprised her as he clapped, a firm smirk on his face, "Magnificent. You truly went above and beyond my expectations as a Hero should, as the Eternal Hero would have."

"Then do I pass?" with a wave of her hand the magic faded and the spent shells landed to the ground harmlessly.

Officer Pelmont stood and paused before slowly nodding, "Yes you do." His eyes had passed by Bethial's who had given him a meaningful look. There were still many questions he had but if the Captain agreed then he would as well. "You're departure is set for tomorrow at noon. You may have free time till then so long as a member of the Hero's Guard stays besides you."

"Yes!" the cheer that echoed around the training ground did not suit the armoured figure but as she quickly ejected herself it didn't matter. Lillia's arms clung around Kyle who hadn't moved since the start. "We did it. We actually did it!"

The young man's legs finally gave way, "That was way scarier than I thought it'd be...."

Lillia held him up and tightened her hug, "Thank you, thank you, thank you! This would never have happened without you."

"Argh! Lillia too tight," Kyle twisted trying to hide his blush. "We don't have much time. Let's go back to the Garden and find Tai. I'll make sure the rest of today is a good one."

"Captain can we leave?" she let go and looked to him excitedly.

"You may, however Valandus will guide you," Bethial gestured to the driver. "The three of you aren't used to the city. Use him as you see fit and so long as you don't go overboard, consider the day on us."