Chapter 23: A new adventure. (Part 2)

Two weeks passed by quickly. With no signs of the next incursion Lillia was given plenty of free time, almost all of which she spent with Kyle. It was simple and pleasant, and although the two had several pairs of eyes watching them she didn't mind. Everyday life in the Garden continued. The children took their lessons and trained themselves for the future but at the same time they also took up their own hobbies. Lillia herself had decided to take her studies in magic to the next level beyond what she needed to fight and to her surprise, the knowledge came easily.

With a heavy thud she closed the large book in front of her and breathed out satisfied.

"You could club a demon to death with that," Kyle remarked from his place at the kitchen counter.

"This isn't even the biggest one," Lillia laughed and slumped on to the table. Her eyes focused on Kyle, "You're wearing your hat less these days."

"Am I?" Kyle pulled the smooth white hair on his head. "I guess so. My hairs not turning back so I might as well own it at this point. It's kind of like my memento of Estile."

"If you want you could do a bit more," she smiled suggestively.

"For the last time I'm not crossdressing."

"You'd look so good though. Probably prettier than I would."

"You do know that I'm your 'boyfriend' right? Emphasise on the boy part."

Lillia grinned, "Yep but I'd like you regardless. I swear these days it's like your body would suit my clothes more than your own."

"No means no," he sighed and let out a tentative laugh purposefully pulling on his jacket. Though he didn't want to admit it, despite his own training, he wasn't bulking up but suspiciously slimming down in some areas and growing in others. His clothing baggier than usual hid most of it. "The children already treat me like their mum. If I changed clothes they'd call me Ms Kyle." He looked up from his preparation and past the dining room where some of the children were doing their sparring lessons under Maila's tutelage. If it was up to him he'd stop them and focus their energies on other activities but that wasn't something he could do. Not only were they still needed but the children themselves had a desire to train. Their continued lessons were an irremovable stain showing that his work wasn't done.

Lillia stood hefting her book with her, "The Captain should be here soon. Are you ready?"

"Yep mostly," Kyle replied. "I just have to put these in the oven and then prepare some tea."

"Not for snacks but your request."

"That..., that will be fine. I'm pretty sure the Captain already knows what I want to ask him. I doubt he'll say no. The only question to me is how he'll say yes." He took a deep breath and once more looked to where the children were. It had been a nice two weeks.

*

Captain Bethial Vonteur was having an odd day. It wasn't that things had gone badly but the opposite. The day's tasks had gone by smoothly and with little resistance. Meeting with the other 1st Officers, sorting out the equipment, planning new defensive measures. Whatever the reason, there had been no kinks. In a usual day someone would be late or missing, numbers wouldn't add up, things would break, the list went on. By the time he arrived at the Garden he was expecting all his luck to show its true nature. There was a lot to talk about, the key point being Kyle and Lillia's sudden trip to the city as well as a request from Kyle himself. As much as he tried to remain stern, seeing the sight of the table carefully laid out with freshly baked treats, even he couldn't help but relax.

"This is quite some effort you put in today," Bethial remarked at the spread.

"Indeed," Reina who had come with him as his trusted secretary showed a rare tentative smile.

Kyle laughed warmly, "Well I had time so I thought why not."

The Captain took one of the biscuits and bit it in half, "They're nice. Now before you ask me your request I have some questions of my own. Valandus told me some 'interesting things' before and I trusted Maila's request not to pry but now that we're here, please." He gestured openly.

"Well...," Kyle looked to Maila who nodded before he began his explanation. There were many things he couldn't explain and a few more he purposefully avoided but by the end the Captain had a decent understanding of the situation.

"I see," he rubbed his chin in thought. Kyle's strange actions and growth over the past few months began to make more sense, though at the same time it pushed the boundaries of what he was willing to believe. "Who else knows about this?"

"Valandus would know a little and Mr Devro was there during the incursion but I haven't told anyone else," Kyle answered simply. Truth be told his heart was beating nervously the entire time but with Lillia and Maila supporting him he somehow made it through. "It's pretty strange isn't it?"

"I've heard stranger stories." The Captain took a sip of his tea, looking into the warm liquid intently, "Before my position as 1st Officer I interacted quite often with Sweepers along the fog lines. When it comes to the old world, strange is normal." Although he seemed content the secretary beside him hadn't stopped frowning since the beginning and while she had first started taking notes by the end she had given up.

"Then about my request," Kyle's body once more tensed up, "I'd like to return to Tomph for a few days."

Reina was the one to respond, "We can't allow that. After all you just told us there are far too many factors that we need to consider." She looked exasperated even contemplating it. "I'm not sure where to even begin."

"I'll allow it," Bethial nodded.

"Captain!" Reina turned to him in shock.

"Calm yourself. There's a lot more at stake here than we realise. I doubt the next incursion will be a simple matter and Kyle's trip is in our best interests. Isn't it?" the man's eyes focused on to the boy.

"Yes," Kyle nodded his tone heavy. "Why am I like this? I've asked that question to myself so many times and there's only one person who might know that answer. When we talked to Arla from the Church Council she told us that the Hero from twenty years ago didn't die but disappeared, did you know that?"

Reina looked to the Captain who nodded.

"I was born not long after he vanished... and considering the things I'm capable of," Kyle looked down at his arm, the same one that had been torn off, "I think my father might be able to enlighten me. I can't put it off any longer."

"We'll be treating this as a special mission," the Captain accepted with a firm gaze. "On the surface it'll be given as leave for your accomplishments thus far but considering the importance you represent you'll not be travelling alone. That is of course if Maila has given her permission."

The older caretaker nodded, her eyes lingering on Kyle and Lillia, "They've already received it. I can't leave the children but the disappearance of the previous Hero has always been something on the Church's mind. However I won't report anything till there is solid proof."

"I also assume that Lillia will be included in this request," the Captain's expression grew complicated.

"Am I not allowed to?" the girl in question looked at him pleadingly.

"The Hero by no means should be allowed, but as long as Maila has given permission, Special Officer Lillia can be sent as escort."

Lillia clapped her hands happily, "Thank you!"

"But," the Captain muted her excitement, "No matter the situation you will be called back in the case you are needed."

"Yes sir," she saluted seriously.

"As for who you'll be accompanied by-."

"Wait it won't just be the two of us?"

"Like we'd let you," both the Captain and Maila said at once.

"Tch," Lillia looked away in disappointment.