Chapter 32: An end. (Part 2)

The flight of stairs ended and the two halted within a domed room. It was remarkably plain with barely an etching of decoration on the walls and the floor a simple tile. In the centre however was Councilman Philius Tombre. The instant Kyle saw him he lunged forward but instead crashed head first into an invisible barrier. Undeterred he took a step back and swinging with all he had forced his blade to break the wall before him. The power caused a thunderous boom but in the end what remained was a broken blade and an untouched shimmer.

"Oh dear me," Councilman Tombre held his hand to his heart. "You gave me the biggest surprise. Not even a word before trying to kill me?"

"You bastard," Kyle grit his teeth, "Get out here."

"Hmm, no," the much older man shook his head. "I feel that wouldn't be the best idea. Don't you want to know why I'm here, or why I did all this?"

"That can wait till after you're tied in chains," he struck the barrier with his fists, again with no affect.

"Would your friend like to try or are you done?" he gestured to Lillia spitefully. "No? Can't do much without your armour can you?"

"I'll kill you!" Lillia pointed her hand towards him as a dozen lances of ice crashed against the barrier only to vanish like nothing happened.

"My, looks like I was correct," he mocked a yawn. "Shall we speak like civilised people or would you like to waste your time? I for one am so so curious about you Mr Kyle Barker. How did you become so powerful in such a short time?"

"That's none of your concern," Kyle replied and began to circle the barrier, looking for any gaps.

"You won't find anything," Philius laughed. "It took much more than you could ever do to reach inside here. And contrary to what you just said, it has all to do with my concern. You see I have always wondered why we follow the Church, what plans they have for us and now I know, I can speak with a sound heart that they are wrong."

"What did you say?"

"Curious Kyle?" his expression turned serious. "You must have seen what they truly are by now. Creatures not even human and yet they have been leading us by the nose all this time."

"No matter what they are, they tried their best to give the world what it needed."

"That is a lie," Philius grit his teeth. "What they want just happened to align to our needs. This world and everything in it, they manipulated. But think Kyle, what happens when they get what they want? When they complete their goals?"

Lillia took his bait, "What goals are you talking about?"

He turned to her impressed, "So it seems you Heroes do have a mind of your own. The Church Council more than anything want to tear down our world and return back to their own and when they do, it will only sow the seeds of chaos that will destroy everything we worked towards."

"You're lying," Kyle spat.

"I assure you I am not," he stared directly into Kyle's eyes. "What we have here, what we have now is perfection. This world we govern is perfect to what we need. We have space to still expand and are close enough where order and peace are simple. Should the Church achieve their goals, to remove the boundary of the fog, then what?" He raised his arms, "Chaos."

"How is that chaos?" Kyle couldn't comprehend his words. "We'd be free of the fog, of demons."

"We'd only be free of our security." The Councilman gestured wildly, "Everything I do, I do for the good of our world, not theirs! Without the fog who knows what threat we might face, with our borders expanded how can we remain in control of the people that roam it? But here, as we are now, we can retain perfection. The demons a common enemy, and a world united under the banner of a Hero to face them."