Chapter 2: A dismal fate. (Part 2)

Of course Kyle did try to find them and went straight towards the village square. When he arrived however the same women from before shook her head and refused to let him pass. 'This has nothing to do with you. Leave,' her words were fierce and even forced his body to freeze but the worst part was that she was right. Kyle had nothing to do with them, they had only met the previous day and really there was no reason for him to go so far. He could just go back and forget, live his life like normal. He enjoyed his life in Tomph, the people that lived there were like family but there was one thing he couldn't stand. The look on Lillia's and Jana's face as they said goodbye. For him, although he wasn't sure why, they were too much to bear.

Unable to get close however, Kyle did what he could and rushed back home.

"Hey," his father greeted him, "how was your date?"

"I'm using the stove," he ignored him and moved past and immediately began to prepare everything he needed. His father seeing his odd determination left him alone. Time was of the essence and Kyle worked as fast as he could. It wouldn't be the best cake he had ever made but it would still be a damn good one. Fruit harvested fresh from the village, wheat that had been grown on the surrounding fields and made by his hands truly. The work was methodical and would usually give him peace of mind but now he couldn't stop his hands from shaking. To be honest he wasn't sure why he felt like it was so important, he just knew that if he could at least make them smile one more time it would be worth it.

As the last layers of cream and fruit were delicately spread into place, no sooner was it in a box and ready for delivery. Kyle left in a hurry not even saying goodbye to his father who just stared at him with a slight smirk. When his feet hit the outside road he broke out into a run. Please still be here, the thought went through his mind hoping for a nice ending to the day. Even if he couldn't see them directly, he could at least pass it on.

It was a shame then that even that small wish wasn't meant to be. Kyle's footsteps slowed to a halt as the square came into view ordinary as it always was. The large truck gone and in its place the small marks where it once sat. Standing alone he held the box with no one to give it to. A painful throb echoed in his chest as he realised he was sadder than he thought he would be. He knew his chances were slim but had hoped nonetheless. Now however they really were gone.

"They left about half an hour ago," Marisha's voice sounded a few metres away. The girl waved a fan to the direction they went. "I heard that you were showing those two girls around the village, you should have invited me along as well."

"Ah...," Kyle didn't know what to say.

"Was that meant to be a goodbye present?" Marisha looked at the box. "As good as you are, they can easily buy something later. Unlike here there's plenty of bakeries in other towns. They won't be missing much. However it is a shame no one is here to eat it."

Kyle shook his head, "I think... I think it might have meant more than just a cake."

Marisha passed her fan across her face with a huff, "Regardless they left and by the looks of it they aren't coming back. You can't change that."

A brief annoyance spread inside him, "What are you even doing out here?"

"Me?" she didn't notice the snark in his tone and continued unfazed. "An assortment of guests came to our home. There were quite a few of them so I excused myself for a walk. After all it's rare for it to be sunny this time of year."

"What kind of guests?" Kyle couldn't stop his curiosity as remembered the whispers between Jana and Lillia.

"The military kind. Not sure from where but they weren't from Trentheim, probably from Central City I'd guess."