Chapter 8: A Midnight Escape before the Dawn. (Part 6)

"So this is the city," Kyle looked down from the Cathedral district wall to the buildings below. The sun was beginning to lower itself as the late afternoon came, shedding an orange glow to the scenery. Hundreds of streets spiralled across the sloping mountain in patterns that continuously crossed each other and in-between were the structures made by human hands. The homes, shops and so much more that Kyle had never experienced, all teeming with the lives of the tens of thousands of residents.

"Is it really alright for me to come too?" Tai asked concerned.

"Of course it is," Kyle turned to him with a pleasant smile. "This is as much your day as it is Lillia's. You're both going to have it rough so do what you want now."

"Exactly," Lillia nodded. "Let's have fun while we can."

Valandus who stood behind them wistfully smiled, "Speaking of which my young darlings, where exactly do you want to go? I'll say this now but you can't see everything."

"Kyle you've never been here before so is there anywhere you want to visit?" Lillia asked readily. "Tai and I have looked around a few times before, though not much."

"Don't mind me," he quickly shook his hands in reply. "I'll have time later to come by. So long as we're together I'm fine for whatever you two want."

"Ugh that just makes it harder," Lillia rapped her head in thought. "I was super excited before but I'm not really sure what I want to do either. Tai?"

"Um me?" the blue haired boy jumped and twisted shyly, "Well there is something I wanted to do...."

"Go on?"

"I've been wanting to watch that new movie in the theatre," he laughed. "Sorry it's really not much and I could watch it in the Garden when we get back but it's all I could think of."

"No I think that's a great idea," Valandus smirked as if he suddenly thought of something good. "Kyle you've never been to a theatre have you?"

He shook his head, "There was one in Trentheim but I never took the time to go. It was pretty far from Tomph after all."

Lillia clapped her hands, "Perfect. First we'll go watch that movie and then how about dinner? Valandus you know a good place don't you?"

The driver puffed up proudly and bowed, "Of course I do. Allow me to be your guide today."

Thus for the first time in his life Kyle walked into the streets of Central City. The very centre of their world and a place he had always been dreaming to visit, even more so now than before. It was unlike anything he had experienced before as even the architecture seemed foreign with its large multi-block buildings that housed dozens of families in the one space. Together with Tai the two marvelled at the scenery as Lillia and Valandus watched them. Tai himself only had the opportunity to visit on limited occasions, of which he was strictly guarded along with the other children. Now with the open streets and people everywhere, the city seemed new and full of possibilities. Aside from Valandus there was no one to stop his curiosity.

"It's a bit strange not seeing Kyle wear the Guard uniform," Lillia noted to Valandus. "If we put him in more girlish clothes don't you think it would be pretty convincing?"

Valandus laughed, "It's already pretty convincing." As they were visiting the city incognito each were wearing everyday clothing. For Tai and Lillia the two wore similar outfits in the Garden and only changed when they went to do official business. Kyle however usually chose to wear the uniform. At first it was to become used to it but the children in the Garden ended up identifying him with the clothing so he stuck with it. His current style of jacket and pants were simple compared to the city fashion and part of the few sets he brought over from Tomph. As for Lillia and Tai, the two wore caps to hide their vivid hair colours, something they were quite used to now.