Chapter 27: A Growing Tale (Part 1)

"What do you mean our tickets are invalid?" Valandus scowled at the lady over the counter who bowed deeply in apology.

"I really do apologise sir but there must have been a mistake," the women herself was quite flustered. "Our system has your tickets registered as only a night train despite what you're showing me."

"Can't you just give us replacement tickets?" Valandus looked past the gate to the train scheduled to leave very soon. "We're meant to be back in the Capital tonight."

"Sorry sir the train is booked out...."

"You're kidding me?" Valandus scoffed. "Since when has a train from Trentheim ever been booked out?"

"There was a sudden large influx of passengers and we didn't prepare enough seats," the poor women was starting to pale under Valandus' stern gaze. "Umm p-please wait I'll find my manager and sort this out." She rushed off, keen to escape the driver's surprisingly menacing capability.

Kyle couldn't help feel for the women, "Don't you think you laid that out a little too thickly? It's not the end of the world if we don't get back till tomorrow."

"I agree Valandus," Melissa nodded. "I thought you'd be all for taking a longer break."

"Shh," he hushed them in reply. "I'm working here."

Finally the lady came back and in quite a flush, "I know this may not be what you wanted but our railway would hate for such valued customers to be let down on a mistake we made. Though we can't put you on this train we can upgrade your seats to first class for the night train."

"Hmm," Valandus pondered. "But it's still half a day away. What are we meant to do till then?"

"Of course you can take these as well," the lady pushed over some coupons. "Please feel free to use these."

The driver sighed as if there was nothing he could do and took the coupons, "Thank you for accommodating us." With that he ushered his group away.

Lillia crossed her arms, "How was that working? I thought the point was to get on the train."

"Oh no, Melissa had me pegged from the start." He grinned and flaunted the coupons, "First class tickets are one thing but these are exceptional themselves. Discounted and pre-booked tickets for Trentheim's premier theatre dining experience and this season's show is to die for."

Melissa clapped excitedly, "Oh! I've been wanting to see that show forever and I heard the food is divine. Usually you have to book months in advance."

"Exactly," Valandus let out his arms to welcome praise. "Trentheim is mostly known for its food and farming but the show stands out and compares even to the best of what the Capital has to offer!"

Kyle smiled wryly, "Well I guess it won't hurt to spend the rest of the day here. I've only been to Trentheim a few times. How about you Lillia?"

"I'll do anything as long as it's with you," she gently took his hand. "Guess the Captain will just have to wait."

*

As they entered the train carriage Kyle's mind was still reeling from the excitement. The entire performance had been beyond spectacular. Not only the stage but even the space between tables was grounds for something to see. Combined with the five star quality food, it was something he had never experienced before and felt that even Estile hadn't either. Despite the glamour of their first class carriage, the four could barely take in the details as they continued to praise the performance.