Chapter 18: Echoes (Part 2)

Several hours passed and from what Kyle could tell it was close to midnight. For whatever reason he couldn't sleep. Really it could have been many things. Maila was going to scold him, what Lillia had to talk about, the connection between the dreams and the world... then there were the dozens of smaller thoughts he had about the children, home and what he himself was going to do. Sleeping would have been much more preferable.

Bored Kyle laid upright in the bed alone with his thoughts. His eyes wandered around the room from the simple bed to the chair beside him. There was the door, table and even a small shelf with innocent books and stories. What caught his eye however was the leftover plate and cutlery from dinner. In particular the knife. A simple piece of serrated metal, it was sharp enough to cut a meal but as a weapon it couldn't be considered a good one. Regardless the tool found its way into Kyle's hand and pressed against his arm.

No one was around. Alone he could see just how human he was. It wouldn't take much. Just a small nick where no one would notice. Even a papercut would usually take a few days to heal. Like this he could test what they had seen in the recording and yet he couldn't find the will to let the knife cut in. With a dull pang Kyle realised it was fear. He had already convinced himself he was no longer that simple baker from Tomph but far from that life... maybe he didn't want to know. The dream he had before of his father teaching him how to bake. Such a sweet innocent time. Was it really too late to go back?

"Kyle?" the door opened suddenly.

With the knife already pressed down it cut through Kyle's skin all too easily as he jumped in surprise. He winced as the metal went deeper than he ever intended it to, staining the sheets around his arm with red droplets.

Lillia stepped into the room just in time to see him try to hurriedly hide the knife, "What are you doing? Is that blood?" she rapidly crossed to his bedside.

"No-um... yes but-."

"Did you cut yourself?" her eyes locked onto the droplets of blood. "Why!? Show me your arm!"

Unable to ignore her rampant concern Kyle revealed the arm hidden behind his back. A smear of blood surrounded a deep jagged cut against his usually smooth skin.

"Lillia it's nothing I just-," he tried to explain but couldn't really find the words how to. It wasn't like he could blame her for what happened either.

"Just what!?" the purpled haired girl grew agitated. "I don't care how stressed you might be. Never... never... what's happening?"

"Ah damn it," Kyle looked down at his arm and groaned in defeat. Right before their eyes the wound closed not even leaving a scar. All that was left was a smear of blood.

"You-," Lillia's eyes went wide. "How- I mean I thought- but...."

"I was really hoping it wouldn't do that," he sighed. He had hoped that the only reason he healed so fast was due to the incursion but that clearly wasn't the case. "Well looks like I'm not normal after all."

"Since when?" Lillia eyes his arm and gingerly touched where the cut had been.

"I'm not sure," Kyle rubbed his head. "I think since the incursion but honestly for the past few weeks I've realised I've been a bit more resilient than I should be." Even back when he had been kidnapped he had suffered dozens of small cuts and some deep ones. At the time the adrenaline had been rushing through his body but right now... aside from his anxious heart there was nothing.

"You didn't know?"

"Well no," he held the knife again and looked down at his leg, "Should I test it again?"