Chapter 3: A passing wish. (Part 3)

When Kyle woke he was surprised for two reasons. The first was that he didn't dream at all. It had been awhile since he had just slept peacefully. The second was that the truck was moving. He quickly shifted himself off the bunk, almost bumping his head as he did so.

"Kyle this way please," Bethial's voice focused his attention to the table. Reina sat working away at a desk further to the back and looking towards the other end he spotted Valandus driving the truck. The view of a dirt road flowing into the distance shone through the front screen. They were driving through the meadows and further out, the towering wall of fog was spread before them. He had never seen it so close before and like the stories said, more than anything it felt like a giant wave threatening to crush them. It was only the Hero's magic that kept it at bay, though at this point he wasn't sure he could trust that tale anymore.

Not wanting to keep the Captain waiting Kyle walked over using the wall as support as he wasn't used to the moving vehicle.

"Where are we?" he asked.

"We're taking a detour to the Eastern edge of the fog," the Captain pointed to a map on the wall. It was incredibly detailed and even showed the names of the small villages like Tomph. "As much as I'd like for us to return and get you sorted, we've been requested to pick up something."

"Is that okay?" Kyle couldn't help wonder considering they were carrying the Hero with them, though she appeared to still be sleeping.

"It happens occasionally. Sometimes things normal people can't deal with appear. Though I believe the Church is being opportunistic with this one and using us because we were nearby."

"The Church of the Hero?"

"Of course," the Captain nodded. "They run Central City, the Hero's Guard and thus us. Though the people we get our orders from aren't quite pious, more rational if anything. However let's get to the point." A bundle of documents were pushed towards Kyle as he sat down opposite the Captain. "This is your preliminary contract and the details of your employment. Read it."

Kyle took a quick glance. The first few pages were what he saw when Bethial came to visit him prior, the rest were explanations on the Hero's Guards' operations and formal procedures.

"Now tell me Kyle, how much do you know about our world?" the Captain leaned forward and eyed him.

"The basics I guess," Kyle answered. "I went through the standard education. We live in the free world, one without the fog. Four states govern the different regions and the Hero's Church in Central City oversee them all." He looked at the map absentmindedly and scanned through the names of the cities and towns he had never been to. A sudden thought pricked his mind, "Captain where's Delsdale?"

"Delsdale?" he was taken aback. "Never heard of it why?"

"Ah never mind," like Kyle thought the name was a made up place just like the rest of his dreams.

"Let's focus again, what about the Eternal Hero?"

"Before last night I was like everyone else and believed the Hero's tale. The same story Jana showed for us. Though I guess that's a lie...."

A new voice, pure and strong, entered the conversation causing Kyle to turn back and look, "It's not a lie." Lillia descended from the loft, landing not far from him. Her clothes were unkempt and her purple hair a mess but her eyes were clear. "The Hero's story is true, isn't that right Captain?"