Chapter 28: Fall in. (Part 3)

"Is it alright to start without your companion?" Lady Marigold asked as the group settled into her office. Unlike the rest of the camp, the office was an actual building, though still quite portable. The walls were made of an expensive plaster and the inside, while spacious had been crammed with all sorts of reports and books. Thankfully there was still enough room for them to all sit.

Riften answered the Lady, "I'll fill her in later. She doesn't need all the details."

"Perfect," she smiled. "I assure you that nothing will escape this room, so what have you come to tell me? I am quite curious to know how you are acquainted with my dear guest."

Kyle scratched his head and looked to Lillia for support. The girl took his hand and smiled, "It's up to you, though I think we had better say something."

"Right," Kyle heaved a breath. "Okay before I begin, this is going to be quite an information dump and a lot of it you won't really believe. I'll spare you from the harsher details but here we go." And so Kyle began his tale. A world that was different to theirs and the Heroes who protected it. Though he skipped their origin and a lot of the details, the key points were still there. The reason their world had been born and the reason why they were here now. The reactions in the room differed from confusion and disbelief to amazement. The one who paid the most attention however was Riften and as Kyle neared the end of his tale, speaking of how the new world came to be and the origin of his father, the black haired man let out a tender smile, one though pained was also content.

"So Arvel is alive...," Riften wiped his eyes. "I'm getting sentimental again. I could hug that man so hard he'd be winded for days. He really did his best."

Unlike Riften who understood the majority, Valandus' brain was fried, "I-I can see why you didn't want to tell us anything till after you told the Captain. If our situation was different I'd pretend this never happened." He paused and turned his eyes to Melissa who was surprisingly calm, "History of our world hasn't got you fazed?"

She chuckled showing her true nerves, "No my face muscles just kind of gave out halfway."

"Well at least Lady Marigold is getting a kick out of this," he shook his head at the Lady who hadn't stopped taking notes. "So saying I believe all this, there's just one thing. Kyle you used to be one of the Mercenaries of whatever called Estile, I get that, also explains a lot of things. Your father was one to, and so is the black haired guy but, where the hell has he been this entire time?" He folded his arms and stared at Riften.

"Actually that's what I'd like to know as well," Kyle faced him. "Riften... you used to be a Hero as well didn't you?"

Lillia flinched at Kyle's statement, "You mean he's the guy we thought your dad was?"

"Are you?"

Riften sighed, "Yeah, that was me."

Melissa quickly placed her hand on Valandus' shoulder, "Hey you're not going to-."

"Not right now I'm not," the driver pressed his hands on his forehead. "Let's just try finish this before my head bursts. I'm sure everyone has their reasons."

Riften didn't miss their interaction, "I probably hurt you in some way...."

"Yeah when you disappeared and abandoned your duty."

"Valandus!" Lillia stood up opposed to his aggressive tone.

"No it's fine," Riften gestured for her to settle down. "Like Estile-Kyle is now, I also went through a transition period but mine came when I was older. Before I became the Hero I did my usual thing."