Chapter 22: Closing the distance (Part 1).

Kyle woke as he usually did but more than ever before his heart carried a weight. The abrupt finale plagued his memory and in those last few moments Estile's eyes had met his. Her eyes weak and lips barely able to move whispered one last thing, 'it's okay.' For Kyle it wasn't okay. How could anything like that be okay?

He left his bed and slugged towards the door. In the end he had seen the truth of the world but at the same time it brought with it so many more questions. After Estile had sacrificed herself what happened to everyone else, and just how did their world exist? The story of their world's birth... the Eternal Hero and all he did, just how much of it was true? As much as Kyle wanted to know, at that moment in time as he trudged down the hallway, all he wanted to do was let it go.

Kyle did the one thing he thought that could calm him. Work. In the bleak morning he slowly prepared the ingredients for the days meals. Baking bread, preparing the stock, cutting vegetables... it went on and on but all the while every few minutes he stopped. Whether it was knife or spoon, the oven open or closed, he stood silently and remembered. Then like nothing he continued to let the flow of work ease his mind.

Several hours passed before another entered the room. Lillia woke up earlier than usual. The prior days talk with the Church Council member had given her things she needed to sort out as well. Her greatest worry however was how Kyle looked after they left. He had barely said anything before they parted and went to sleep. A cheeky smile curled her lips as she descended the stairs. With how early it was, there was a chance Kyle hadn't woken yet and the thought of surprising him made her heart giddy. Halfway down however she smelt the sweet aroma of baking bread and other foods.

She sighed, "And here I thought I would-." Her words caught in her mouth as the dining room and kitchen were beyond her expectations. "Wow... you must have woken up early. Did you clean everything as well?" Her finger crossed the cabinet not picking up even a speck of dust. After several seconds without a response she focused her eyes to the kitchen, "Kyle?"

Eyes blank Kyle silently gazed to the dining table. Aside from the waiting cutlery and plates there was nothing else. Slowly Lillia moved closer perturbed.

"Umm hello?" she waved her hand across his vision. The light came back to his eyes as he blinked rapidly. "You alright there?"

"I...," his mouth hang open, eyes locked on to hers. "I don't think I am."

"Oh." His response surprised her. It was unusual for him to be so honest about feeling unwell. "I know a lot happened yesterday but we can take it a bit at a time."

Without warning Kyle's eyes began to water, "We screwed up. All of this... it was our fault."

"Whoa Kyle," Lillia leapt forward as the boy looked like he was about to collapse. "What are you talking about? Who's we?"

"Everything... I'm so sorry...." His weight fell away but before he hit the floor Lillia had him in her arms.

"Kyle!? Hey what's wrong?" she shook him as her heart began to beat in rapid anxiety. "Kyle!?" Fearing the worst she began to prod his body checking he was still alive and to her relief not only was there nothing wrong but a gentle breath leaked from his lips. He was only sleeping. But there was also one other thing she noticed. Through her worried shakes she had also knocked off his usual hat. He had worn it to hide his differing hair colour but now there was no point to. There was no longer a sliver of Kyle's original flaxen hair. It was completely white.