Chapter 14: New sights (Part 4)

It was a quiet morning for Elmori City, even more so than usual. The news of the incursion had frightened more than a few people and under the support of the Hero's Guard it was an opportune time for a holiday. That wasn't to say the streets were empty as the city still simmered with life here and there. The path to the address Mr Devro had given Kyle however was especially quiet. Being not too far from the incursion sight and along with the early morning, the atmosphere dipped to a strained tension as if the two were wandering the halls of the forgotten.

After quarter of an hour Lillia and Kyle reached their destination. The large building was a standard rectangular shape with several floors however the oddly decorated front and dusty windows made it more than a little suspicious.

Lillia checked the note in Kyle's hand once more and looked towards the sign post, "Hmmm looks like this really is the right place. So what did you need here again?"

"We'll find out," even to Lillia he was hesitant to explain, as for one, he didn't quite understand it himself. With a strong jolt he lifted the rusted door knocker and pushed it against the wooden frame. The thud resounded with no tell if anyone inside heard or not and after a long slow minute nothing happened.

"Maybe they're not home," Lillia suggested seeing Kyle's tense disappoint. "How about we walk around a bit more and try again later?"

"Yeah maybe that's for the best," his shoulders sagged but as the two turned a groaning creek caused them to look back. The door stood ajar releasing a somewhat musty smell towards them. "Hello?" Kyle stepped towards the door.

"Wait are you sure this is safe?" Lillia held him back.

"I don't think Mr Devro would mean any harm." He took another step closer and pushed the door till it revealed the corridor beyond. The sight however caused him to snap back in surprise.

Standing straight and waiting with a mischievous smirk was an old butler. His greying hair and wrinkled skin revealed his age but a youthful spark remained in his eyes. "Welcome," he bowed politely. "And to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit today? It's rare for us to find such beautiful young women in these parts of town."

Lillia stood in front of Kyle protectively, "He's a boy actually."

"Of course he is," the butler replied easily.

Feeling a bit put off by his casual regard Kyle fixed his posture, "I had some questions and was told they could be answered here. Mr Devro, as in Dilly Devro, recommended this place to me."

"Ah then please come in," the butler stepped back and gestured for them to enter. "You're in luck. The mistress has returned after some time."

"Mistress?" Lillia again looked at Kyle suspiciously but couldn't hold it for long as the butler began moving further inside.

Kyle followed after him while avoiding the clutter that filled the hallway. The walls and even floor were filled with odds and ends from books and scrolls, to tablets and rocks. It was a collection of things that even those with the best education would struggle with and for Kyle, he barely recognised even a fraction of them.

"Umm excuse me but what kind of place is this?" he asked as they reached a case of stairs.

The butler chuckled amused, "For you to come here and not know is quite intriguing indeed. Mr Devro must find you quite trustworthy to send you here." The wizened man stood by the stairs but instead of climbing them to the floors above, he reached behind a nearby pedestal triggering some kind of click. The next moment the space beside the stair case opened revealing a hidden basement, "This way."