Chapter 3: A passing wish. (Part 2)

A man drabbed in a military cloak and beside him another though barely more than a boy. Looking at the two beside each other the difference was easy to see. One stood tall and sturdy like a mountain, the other seemingly struggling to hold his own luggage. The two walked in silence across the hewn landscape. The homes that were once nearby were reduced to scrap and the fields gouged by craters. For the village of Tomph it would be a disaster but already men and women had been called and steadily repaired the damage done. Kyle imagined what would have happened if Jana and the others had never come. The demons would have levelled the entire village and its people like they never existed. He felt his heart tighten at the thought.

"Um Mr Vonteur, may I ask you a question?" Kyle began slowly.

"From this day on wards please refer to me as Captain," the large man looked down at him with steady eyes. "You're now a part of Central City's military and further the Hero's Guard. While I personally don't like to hold rank on others it would be best to learn the language."

"Yes Captain!" Kyle replied trying to show his admittance.

"But yes you may ask questions, however I cannot answer everything."

He paused, "Then first... how is Lillia doing?"

The Captain showed a ghost of a smile, "Lillia is resting. It may be some time till she wakes up but she's fine."

"Thank the Hero," Kyle said the phrase naturally but frowned as he realised the implication.

The Captain however nodded, "Thank her indeed."

Kyle continued, "About Jana... what happened to her body?"

"It's just like you witnessed," the large man blinked. He took a brief moment to make sure no one else could hear them. "It's a phenomenon bought about by those who wear the Hero's armour. I can't say more than that."

"I see." They continued on their way eventually reaching the edge of the village. Beside the road was a familiar truck waiting, however the decal of the smiling cat had been replaced by the mark of the Hero's Church.

"Stand tall Kyle," the Captain slapped his back. "We're here."

A tall gentleman wearing a similar military uniform as Bethial came to greet them and saluted, "Greetings Captain, how did the negotiations go?"

The Captain gestured to Kyle beside him, "Surprisingly well."

"Oh this is the baker?" The man walked closer and looked Kyle up and down. Kyle did the same to him although hesitantly. He had noticed him in the background during Jana and Lillila's performances but never up close. Although not as well built as Bethial he had the body of a soldier. With light brown curls and simple blue eyes, his expression was quite relaxed. If he hadn't been wearing the uniform Kyle would never guess he was a military man. He offered his hand to Kyle, "Nice to meet you. Name's Valandus Petty Officer 1st Class, I drive the truck."

"Kyle Barker," he replied politely.

As Kyle shook his hand Valandus nodded, "Hmmm you really would make a pretty girl."

The sudden words struck a wound to Kyle as it was something he had quite the complex about.

"Valandus," the Captain immediately scolded him.

"Ah sorry. Jana and Lillia spoke of you but I didn't really believe them at the time. Now I get what they meant when they said you were a beautiful boy."