Chapter 17: Gambit (Part 1)

Chapter 16: Gambit

Under Valandus and his knights' protection Kyle and Mr Devro made quick time to the headquarters where the members of the united Guard had set themselves. The building itself was a large warehouse like structure that was set at the edge of the incursion grounds. The simple structure was now the sight of an unending battle. A powerful barrier had been erected around the local area pushing back the fog and outside it groups of knights created hunting parties made to thin the oncoming demons. Their quick attacks and rotations ensured their safety and energy as much as possible while they were supported by an array of riflemen and machine guns. Under the lead of the Captain they had managed to get as much equipment as possible to solidify the defences and seeing their success, it was clear the plan had been formed long before the event itself.

Still a way to go Valandus halted at the border of the battle hiding the group in an alley. He waited patiently and in response a flash of light glanced in their direction.

"Everyone ready!" he gestured forward commandingly. "Go!" On his signal they all began to run. The demons immediately caught on to their sudden appearance and turned to hunt the new isolated prey but before they could chains of light broke around them. Then came the burst of cannon fire blocking their path. The demons however were particularly agitated and from the depths of the fog beyond appeared in number.

"End it."

"Liar."

"Traitor."

"Join us."

"Free us."

"Let go."

Kyle blocked out the sounds of their advance and focused on running. The demons had come frightening close but at the same time supporting groups of knights joined them and fended them away. Finally they crossed they managed to cross the defensive line and the demons were forced back by the hail of bullets and magic.

"That was close," Valandus breathed heavily as they slowed to a walk reaching the barrier.

One of the knights nodded, "They were even more aggressive than usual. Why?"

"Don't know and it doesn't matter," Valandus responded. "In fact we should count it lucky. Their actions pulled them to their deaths. Kyle you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine," the young man responded easily.

"Really?" Valandus eyed him dubiously. Even the knights who had come with them were out of breath.

"I've been through a lot, comparatively that was much easier." Kyle faced the knights around him, "Thank you everyone."

"Not a problem ma'am," they saluted proudly. Kyle didn't have the heart to correct their mistake and moved on.

"Where's the Captain?" he looked to the sky where Lillia was still fighting. Despite the thick fog she could still be seen and alongside her was the frozen Primarch. She had been up there for a long while now and although she looked fine he knew that time wasn't on their side.

"This way," Valandus gestured towards the warehouse. "Mr Devro you might as well come to."

"Oh can I?" the director who had just caught his breath was pleasantly surprised. "I'd love to."

Inside the headquarters the full extent of their situation became clear. The large spaces were filled with the injured and in some places the dead. The medical staff on hand simply weren't enough as they ran from end to end trying to ease whatever suffering they could. It was clear they were on their last supplies. Then there were the nervous civilians who had been trapped inside the barrier. There was a surprisingly high amount and possibly more still out in the city. Under the pressure of the battle outside many of them had already fallen to despair.