Chapter 13: Closing and Opening (Part 4)

Lillia sat in the branches of the silver leafed oak swinging her legs freely. It had been many months since she had come here and the first time alone. The last was when Jana became the Hero and the two talked about what they'd do. She remembered the night it happened. Their sister Taila sacrificed herself to defeat a Primarch but before she could reach her armour, Jana beat her to it. By all means she was closer but she hesitated and suddenly Jana who should have been far away had the Hero's helmet in her hands. What would have happened if she didn't hesitate? Would she have already passed away like Jana or could the two of them still have lived till now. The questions continued to plague her mind, the what ifs and could have beens that no one could really know.

"Lillia?" the voice surprised her and she snapped out from her reverie in an instant.

"Kyle?" she looked at him from above. "How did you find me?"

"Maila told me where you were," he replied simply.

Lillia clicked her tongue on reflex, "Tch, so she did know where we were all these years. What are you even doing here? Shouldn't you be talking to that 'friend' of yours?"

"We already finished," Kyle looked up at her with a soft expression. "She decided to head back home."

"You're not going to follow after her?"

He laughed awkwardly, "Do you really think I would?"

"No," her reply was honest.

Kyle placed his hand against the tree and reached for the closest branch, "Hang on I'll come up."

"Wait be careful the bark is slipper-," she didn't get to finish as Kyle already lurched down the tree's trunk. Before she even noticed herself, he was suddenly in her arms with her feet planted on the ground.

"Th-thanks," Kyle said feeling rather embarrassed. It was one thing to slip and fall but it was another entirely to be carried like he was. If anything he really rather the situation be reversed. "Umm Lillia are you going to put me down?"

"Ah right!" the girl blushed and gently let him down. "Sorry I got distracted." As they parted she couldn't help feel the warmth in her arms from Kyle's body.

He laughed, "Although that wasn't quite what I was going for, one way or another it looks like I got to talk to you face to face."

Remembering why she was mad in the first place Lillia frowned annoyed at his carefree speech, "Yes we're finally speaking face to face again but do you even realise why I'm mad at you?"

"So you really are mad...."

"You think!?" she threw her arms up in the air. "How can I trust you to stay alive against demons when you can't even climb a tree?"

"Well it was slippery," he lent out a tentative smile which quickly faded as Lillia continued to glare at him. "You know I talked with Maila before and she told me quite a few things. Things I'm not even sure you would know. But looking at you now, the fact you're annoyed at me, angry, and the fact you look cute despite it... I can't let that go."

"W-what are you saying all of a sudden?" Lillia blushed causing Kyle to do the same.

He looked away, "S-sorry I let the words out without really thinking."

"No- I mean, I didn't mind them." She stamped her foot, "Don't try change the subject. I still think what you're doing is too dangerous."

"I know but I'm going anyway."

"Why!?" her hands balled into fists pressed against her sides. "Everyone here needs you."

Kyle nodded, "Maila's told me. See the thing is," he took a deep breath, "I might be a bit selfish."

"What do you mean?" Lillia's brows clenched together confused and suspicious.

"Because in the end I have to admit that what I'm doing is for me more than anyone else. I can't just watch you leave. I can't stay here again and just wait for news. If anything happened... I'd never forgive myself." He paused wondering whether or not to say the last words buried in his heart, "But most importantly... most importantly.... Do you remember what you told me you wanted to do?"

Lillia flinched as she clearly remembered her embarrassing words, "Um I vaguely recall it."

"You said you wanted to try fall in love," Kyle could feel his heart beat into his throat. "I know it might not be what you wanted but I've at least got you halfway there."

"You're not making any sense."

"I like you... as in really like you. You could say I fell in love with you... so you're halfway there." His awkward words came out in a fumble of flustered heat and as Lillia stared at him wide eyed the world suddenly became thin as if he'd fall away at a moment's notice.

"But-I-you...," Lillia didn't know how to react. To her falling in love was meant to be a one-sided dream. She thought she'd die before anyone felt that way about her. A tear slipped down her cheek.

"Ah! Please don't cry. I know I'm not much and if it really makes you feel so shocked just pretend I said nothing," filled with regret Kyle slowly stepped back but the sudden pull against his hand snapped him back.

"Wait," with her free arm Lillia wiped away the building tears. She laughed, "I'm not crying because I'm shocked, well at least not entirely. I just never thought this would happen and about only going halfway... consider it full."

With the clear sky and stars above, the moon shone down on the two as they stood together beneath the silver leafed oak. The beating of their hearts merged into the other as their hands held tightly. Neither could think of what to say as mixtures of happiness and embarrassment crossed their minds. The two having never experienced anything like it before could only wonder what to do.

Finally it was Lillia who broke the silence between them and stepped closer. Unlike Kyle she had watched a myriad of movies and many of them romances. Those stories filled with tender love gripped her and a soft whisper left her lips, "Can I kiss you?"

Kyle didn't need to reply, or really, he didn't have time to. His brief moment of surprise was replaced by the delicate sensation of her lips on his. It was a simple peck, soft and slow, but more than just the sweet and somewhat wet contact, the meaning behind it meant so much more. The two parted and unable to hold it in filled the surrounds with an innocent laughter.

"Um thank you," Kyle replied as they both calmed down.

"It was my pleasure," Lillia mocked a curtsy.

Kyle looked down at their hands still joined together and then back to the purple haired girl, "So does this mean we're... umm, together?"

"I... I think it does," she smiled. "What do you want to do now?"

Before he could answer a rumble of hunger released from his stomach and a different flush bloomed in his cheeks, "I'm so sorry. I haven't eaten and well-."

Lillia giggled and tightened the grip on his hand, "Then maybe we should head back and get something to eat."

"Yeah, let's do that," he smiled warmly and together the two walked back only to find Maila waiting to welcome them with a smug grin.