Chapter 13: Closing and Opening (Part 2)

In the headquarters of the Hero's Guard closer to the Church's domain was a large office and close by it a small studio that had been working diligently. 1st Officer Leela Lin sat at her desk preparing her next campaign. The women had never been a fighter but had a keen will and an eye for people allowing her to work her way up to becoming the Hero's Guards foremost officer on public relations. When she had heard her star poster boy had been kidnapped she nearly had a heart attack and personally led many of the teams into the city and beyond to find him. It was her decision that had put a target on his back and now she wondered if he'd still follow through. On her desk there were already the files and achievements of other candidates but none had the natural charismatic charm Kyle showed.

A knock at her door caused her to jump as she turned to it in attention.

Her secretary poked into the room, "Ma'am Petty Officer Barker has come to talk to you."

"Kyle is here?" Leela perked up immediately. "Send him in."

The young man came in with a somewhat awkward shuffle. On the surface, aside from his sudden change in hair colour, he looked the same as the last time she saw him. Leela however easily spotted the drastic difference. The boy was no longer simply a boy. He'd gone through hell beyond what any training could do and now a soft aura of confidence and strength permeated around him.

The 1st Officer smiled. No matter what, she had to have him continue his work. "Kyle welcome. It's quite late in the evening, what brings you here?"

"Sorry I wanted to come sooner but I got tied up.... Actually I bought you something as well." He offered her a small basket filled with various shaped cookies. "Don't worry I made these ones."

"Why would I worry?" Leela took the basket with an appreciative smile, hiding the fear she held that this was his way of leaving her service in an amicable way.

"Oh nothing." Kyle cleared his throat. "I'm here because I want a favour."

"A favour? You've done a lot for us already Kyle. If it's something you need you can just ask." The women however was intrigued especially now it didn't seem like he would leave.

"Actually I have a plan and I need your help. I want to be there for the next incursion."

Leela frowned, "Kyle that's not my jurisdiction and something even I wouldn't want you heading to. It's too dangerous."

"It is dangerous... and maybe the people should know too, but not just that, they should know the effort the Hero's Guard goes through to keep everyone safe. To know that the money they donate and pay in taxes goes to saving our world. The demons are frightening and it could cause unease but, just like I was in Tomph, I think as a whole, the people don't know enough. We can no longer just rely on that image of an impregnable Hero."

The 1st Officer's eyes lit up as she realised what he was suggesting, "You want to have us film on the scene?"

Kyle nodded, his eyes firm and a slight smile playing against his lips, "Exactly and I want to be the one there. The people already know my face and my connection to the Hero's Guard. My words would be accepted far easier than someone else's."

"You...," she paused and rubbed her brow. "I thought it was strange how you suddenly became so keen to help us this past month. So we were your back up plan."

"It's a win-win."

Leela sighed, "While I do agree your plan could certainly help us, unlike when I first met you, I know who you are. Bethial won't be happy about this."