Chapter 6: What can and can't be done. (Part 5)

Far from the Garden in a late night meeting the 1st Officers of the Hero's Guard sat at a single oval shaped table. Each had their own report to give and Captain Bethial having just shown his sat down. Next was 1st Officer Leela Lin in charge of public communications. Her job was by all means important but not quite related to the Captain's. As she began her presentation Bethial relaxed back into his seat and sipped at the cup of hot tea in front of him. His main focus was on his own report and the few questions he had been asked.

"As you know recruitment for the Hero's Guard across the four states has been dropping. While we are the most prestigious Military Order we also do the most dangerous work. New talent across the four states have been opting to join their own state's Order. At this rate the balance of power could be effected negatively. For the past few weeks we have been trying to create a promotional piece that will be shown in theatres across our world. The intent is to once again connect with the people and gain support across all channels." Leela flicked on the projector beside her, "Particularly we looked for someone that the everyday citizen could connect to and though we had some trouble finding the right people, today I think we found the one."

"Petty Officer 3rd Class Kyle Barker," an image of Kyle appeared before the officers. Bethial who hadn't been paying attention suddenly choked on his tea after hearing the familiar voice. His coughing quickly caught the attention of the other officers as they passed him tissues to clean the mess.

"Is something wrong Bethial?" Leela asked.

"My apologies," the muscular man looked again to the projected image to confirm it. Without doubt that was the Kyle he knew. "It's just that Petty Officer Barker is under my jurisdiction. I was surprised to see him in the recording."

A spiteful smirk came from the other end of the table, "Wow Bethial, you certainly are recruiting wide these days. I didn't know that you were in that need of talent." He stared at the Captain directly. Looking to be several years younger, he had a handsome face most wouldn't associate with the military.

Bethial took his stare and returned it firmly, "Watch your mouth Urza. Petty Officer Barker has my full respect and support. His disposition is more heroic than many of the Guard. Perhaps your eyes have gone dull from all the problems your troop are having."

1st Officer Urza grit his teeth, "How dare you-."

"Enough," another Officer cut between them, his bold head and dark skin catching the light. "Urza, appearance does not relate to talent. We more than any others should understand this by now. Bethial, though Urza is having trouble, the quip was not necessary. We should be supporting each other."

"My apologies," the Captain nodded. Urza relaxed his jaw, settling back into his seat.

Leela looked between the two and satisfied they were done, went back to her concern, "Bethial when referring to Petty Officer Barker you said 'him'?"

"Yes he is male," he nodded.

She looked back at the screen and turned to the Captain again, asking quite rudely, "Are you sure?"

"Fully confident." Quite of the few surrounding 1st Officers nodded their head in surprise. Urza was tempted to make another comment but the eyes of the other dark skinned Officer kept him in check.

"Oh...," Leela paused. She was probably the most astonished in the room however instead of being put-off she continued stronger, "Well regardless I believe he will make a good character to use for our promotion. His sexual ambiguity could even reach a larger crowd. I hope you don't mind me using one of your people Bethial."

"Well...," Bethial thought about it. He did have some qualms with it especially considering Kyle's origin but at the same time he believed it might be for the better. "I'm fine with it. However just where did you find him?"

"I happened to pass Kyle nearby the training ground ramparts. It was a lucky find."

"I see," the Captain mocked a smile. There was only one person he could think of who would take him from the Garden, Valandus. "I'll make sure to have a talk with him myself."

The next morning Valandus had his monthly pay docked. As for Kyle, Bethial believed what he had gone through was punishment enough.