Chapter 16: Nightmare (Part 5)

It was slow moving through the city streets as they tried to avoid the demons as much as possible. On many occasions the group had to halt and take cover as stray demons left their oozing trails across the pavement. While the nearby battle attracted most of them there were still the stragglers that chose to walk different paths and some that even chose to strike against the barrier in hopes to escape. Each was a potential threat and although the knights could take care of themselves, with one injured, poor visibility and civilians to protect, it was too risky to just make a run for it.

"What's going to happen?" the man who Kyle had slapped asked worried. "We're going to escape aren't we?"

"Straighten your back Luther!" Mr Devro berated him. "Fear will only make it worse."

"I know sir but...."

The knight leading them replied, "It seems Officer Barker was correct. The Hero is taking much longer than usual to get rid of the Primarch. If we could round up the demons then he could release the barrier and fight at his full strength."

Another knight nodded, "If we've come to that conclusion, our leaders would as well. The question is how?"

Kyle also pondered it. Unlike the others, he knew that time wasn't on their side. Lillia had a limit and she'd be nearing it. Her replacement was the Captain but he wouldn't be able to maintain the barrier and in a situation like this with so many eyes, they couldn't let them see the changeover. Still deep in thought it was almost too late before the group noticed the black muck rise beneath their feet.

"Shit!" a knight swore and jumped back. Just like that they had been split. The demon still rising came between them. On one side was Mr Devro and Kyle, with the rest together. At the rate they were going they'd be separated. Realising the fact two of the knights leapt to attack the forming demon. To their surprise however their strikes were met with black oozing hands that gripped their swords corroding the steel and causing them to fall apart.

"It's a Type S!" Kyle shouted as the creature pulled itself from the street cracks. It looked unlike any demon they had seen before, held together by eerily shaped arms that melded into its body. "Just run!" He knew that the knights wouldn't leave them and making the decision he grabbed Mr Devro and retreated down the nearby alley. The knights knew they couldn't fight the demon alone and did the same heading the opposite way. Seconds later the demon shrieked and span around looking for the prey now gone.

"Play? Play with us. Please stay and play. Don't leave. Don't...." the chilling mixture of voices shook Kyle to the core. The way they spoke was eerily sincere, as if Kyle staying back would actually save them. If it wasn't for the overpowering sense of danger that came in pair, he might have really tried.

"Do you think it's gone?" Mr Devro gasped for breath from the sudden sprint. The two were pressed around the corner trying to spy the demon before it could them. The fog however made it almost impossible to see.

"It's not gone but it looks like its lost us for now," Kyle replied steadily. "Hopefully the others managed the same." Now it was just him and the director, the chance of them being killed by demons was suddenly much higher. All he had was a dagger for defence and just by glancing at the director it was clear he had even less combat training than Kyle did.

Unable to see the demon they continued on their way while trying to avoid large pacts of noise. Noise meant demons and although the usual groaning of the demons was hard to distinguish, for Kyle it wasn't too hard to stay clear as the mutterings grew louder. Like that they slowly made their way forwards and circled around the incursion grounds. Only several rows of buildings separated them from the main battlefield and even if it was the fastest path to reach safety, there was little doubt in both their minds it would be suicide.