Chapter 12: Awakening (Part 4)

"Kyle!" Marisha dived next to him immediately trying to help in whatever way she could. "Are you alright? You were stabbed and ah-." Her emotions quickly overwhelmed her words as she could only move her mouth in a quiver.

"I'm... okay," Kyle said after a long pause. He could barely feel his legs and arms despite the dozens of cuts across his skin. It all felt numb. "I just need a moment." He breathed in a haggard mess. By all means he should be dead but through extreme luck and determination he'd somehow pulled them through. The fact he had taken Karster's life lingered in his mind, but tired as he was, there were more important things to deal with. For several minutes the two didn't move as Kyle focused on recovering.

"I can't believe you did it," Marisha kneeled beside him speaking in a whisper. "I thought we'd die down here. You're really no longer the baker boy from Tomph are you?"

"I'm still that baker," he smiled softly, "but now I'm also a bit more."

"Then maybe-," before she could finish a sudden yell came from the corridor and the door that was still locked.

The women's voice resounded, "Karster if you're done let me out this instance! Turner isn't looking so good. Stop playing around with that girly boy. Oi Karster let me out!" she slammed on the door again.

"We should go," with a heaving grunt Kyle managed to get back on his feet. Marisha stood by him in support, the silver key now in her hands.

"We need to find you a healer," she said concerned at his paling skin.

"I think I need more than just that," he chuckled as they stepped closer to the trap door. "Listen, if there are more of them. Leave me and try escape."

"What, no! I couldn't."

"It's for both our sakes. If you can, find help then bring them back. If we're both captured then everything would be for nothing. I'd love to say I can protect you but like this... I can't."

She nodded hesitantly, "I understand. But if there's a chance to get us both out I'm taking it."

Kyle couldn't help laugh, "Since when were you like this?"

"That's because in Tomph I always lived differently. I do care... really I do a lot."

"Thank you." They reached the end of the room but a sudden sensation caused Kyle to frown. In a snap he pushed Marisha away, "Hide!" The girl reacted just in time to sneak behind the stack of boxes before the trapdoor exploded into splinters. Kyle was barely able to keep himself upright as the force caused him to step back. All he had left was a small knife for defence but still he held it at the ready.

A suit of slim black armour broke through the stairs and into the room. Kyle dropped the knife as a short barrelled gun pointed directly at him.

"Wait it's me Kyle!" he recognised the armour and dropped all hostility. Councilman Philius Tombre's personnel guards. Knights from Lavise.

"Target spotted sir," the Knight said in a static filled voice. "Checking for hostiles." He stepped past Kyle and scanned the floor easily spotting Tibul and Karster. "Room clear."

"There's still one more locked in the room in the back corridor," Kyle said already feeling the ease in tension. "Marisha you can come out." The girl poked out from hiding as the knight turned her way causing her to flinch. "She's with me."

The sound of footsteps caused him to look up again as an unexpected figure entered the basement. Councilman Tombre himself and behind him another black armoured knight. The old man's expression was soft as he stepped closer. "Mr Barker we've come to rescue you."