Chapter 18: Echoes (Part 1)

Chapter 17: Echoes

"Not like that Kyle. Push the edges more, not the middle."

"Like this?" the small boy asked as he looked up to his father.

His father laughed and gently patted the boy's head, "Not quite but you'll get there."

"Why can't I just eat the food, do I really need to learn to make it?" the boy puffed his cheeks clearly thinking that the task at hand was more tedious than it was worth.

"You sound like some of my old friends," again he chuckled. Crouching beside his son the man picked up a small piece of the dough between his fingers. "You like eating what I make don't you?"

"Yep," the boy smiled.

"But what if one day we're not together, how are you going to eat it then?"

"I don't want that," he huffed.

"Of course neither do I, but if you learn how to then there'll always be a part of me with you wherever you go."

The young boy frowned deep in thought, "But can't you just make it for me?"

"Ha ha, you'll get it eventually. Let's just say it's to help your dad then. You like helping me don't you?"

"Yep," he replied proudly.

"You're such a good boy Kyle," once more he rubbed the boy's head. "As bakers the food we make makes other people happy. It's about spreading that smile."

The boy grinned showing his teeth, some of which were missing, "Then I'll be the best baker there is."

"That's the way," the father rolled up his sleeves revealing the powerful arms beneath.

"Will I be as strong as you someday?" admiration shone through the young boy's eyes.

"Maybe... but I really hope you won't have to." His smile reflected a past the young boy couldn't fathom, "Now let's get baking."

*

As Kyle's consciousness returned he couldn't help but feel a little lost. A dream from a long time ago when his father had first taught him how to bake. Back then he really didn't get the point but as the years went by he slowly learnt and mastered the skills his father demonstrated. As sweet as the dream was, it was about a time he couldn't go back to. He couldn't be called just a baker any more. If anything he was disappointed to find that Estile never appeared. With the incursion over it would be awhile till the next dream would come.

"Hey I think he's waking up," the familiar male voice prodded his ears. From the tone it was Valandus which begged the question, just where was he?

"Kyle?" then came Lillia's voice full of hopeful concern. He really couldn't just ignore her and keep trying to sleep no matter how much he wanted.

Slowly he opened his eyes and faced the room before him. It was the Hero's private medical centre again. They had returned to Central City and from the array of people standing nearby it looked like they had made it back safely.

"Good morning," he said with a rasp.

"It's evening actually," Lillia replied with a tender smile. Her eyes were already wet.