Chapter 11: A dance with more than one step. (Part 4)

Carrying a basket, Kyle bought what he needed and stood lingering at a specialty store selling small trinkets. The gems had been moulded into finely crafted metal frames that could be hung onto all sorts of jewellery. They shone with a strange allure, twelve kinds in all, each a different colour.

"Are you interested in these Miss?" the old man running the stall quickly caught his attention.

"Ugh Mr actually but yes," Kyle smiled.

The man widened his eyes, "Ah sorry. These old eyes of mine are failing me."

"Don't worry I get it a lot," Kyle sighed. "How much for the gems?"

A certain grin lit the man's face, "While not a small amount I assure they are worth the price indeed. 60 pence each."

"That's... quite a bit." Back in Tomph that amount of money would last a week if not more.

"But sir this fine craftsmanship is unlike any other. I assume you have come here after perusing the market, they have caught your eye for a reason." The old man's eyes narrowed. "These here are replicas of a much older tale."

As much as Kyle knew the old man was being sly he couldn't help but be gripped by his tone, "Go on."

"I purchased these from a jeweller in Elmori, one whose brother works as a sweeper. Are you familiar with sweepers?"

"I am."

"Oh colour me surprised not many know of their work. You must be quite somebody indeed," the old man's smile spread even wider. "The craftsmanship of these jewels is based off a story much older than our world. A time before the Eternal Hero and the fog that binds us. One inspired by not one but twelve Heroes who worked together as Mercenaries to save the world countless times."

Kyle felt his heart grip at the words and had to restrain himself otherwise he'd jump the man for more information. Silently he took a moment to calm down, "This-this story, just how much do you know about it?"

Seeing Kyle's eagerness the old man scratched his head unable to fool his innocent demeanour, "Ah well to be honest not much. My jeweller friend was only able to read a little before the Church came and took the book from the Sweepers. The picture of the jewellery however he remembered and crafted these based off them. I wouldn't get so wound up there Miss, uh I mean Sir, it was just a tale."

"R-right, just a tale." Kyle couldn't stop his beating heart. Although the old man's words couldn't be called reliable it was the first he had heard of a connection to his dreams. Even the books and documents he had read in the Garden and the Hero's Guard hardly had details of the past hundred years. "I'll buy all of them."

"W-what all of them?" the old man spat. "Look Sir I do like to spin a tale here and there but I'd feel bad if you spend all your money on a whim."

"It's more than just a whim," Kyle stared at the gems. Red, yellow, white, green, purple, orange, blue, black, brown, grey, clear and finally one that matched his own flaxen hair. Just staring at them his heart felt oddly at peace, happy even. The one's matching Kara, Himila and Mitsu's hair would make a fine gift as well.

"Well I won't stop you. I'll even through one in for free and some thread to tie them." The old man busied himself carefully packing the gems.

"Are you always here?" Kyle asked.

"Most the time unless I've gone off to collect some goods myself," the man smiled.