Chapter 39: The world at the end of the street. (Part 1)

"Where have you taken me!?" Philius screamed with thinly veiled panic.

"Settle down," Estile sat on nothing and relaxed. Not only her body but her clothes and armour had regained their perfect form. "And don't bother fighting me here. It would only depress you."

"We shall see," he charged towards her raising another conjured sword.

Estile rolled her eyes and without bothering to stand or take up her sword, slapped him to the ground. Philius was left stunned, unable to comprehend what had just happened. He rose again and with greater strength struck towards Estile. This time with an almost casual ease Estile halted his blade above her and smiling stood up from her invisible seat.

"I said, 'settle down'." Her free hand shot out, punching Philius in the gut and forcing him to keel over on his knees.

"H-how? You weren't-," he coughed.

"As strong? This is my inheritance," Estile gestured grandly but sighed. "A blank room that once reflected my soul. I was actually hoping it would have changed a little but at least it's still effective. For the most part, I'm basically invincible here. Though even I have my eventual limits."

Philius scowled, "You lie. If you were so powerful then you would have killed me by now. The truth is you can't!"

"Actually I can but you're kind of mistaken about something." Estile's gaze became cold, "As much as you needed to be put down, I didn't come here just for you. I'm here for something more important. Also by coming here you're kind of already dead."

"Y-you're lying."

"Again no," she sighed. "If it makes you feel any better I'm dead too. Unlike Lav, my inheritance has a zero percentage chance of survival when activated. Our bodies no longer exist."

"No!" Philius stepped back, his eyes trying to find anything in the endless void of white. In the end there was only Estile. "I refuse to believe you. I'm stronger than you! I was to become a God!"

"You know I respected you before," her gaze turned to pity. "You're methods were wrong but you truly did what you thought was best for the world. Now you're just another person who was maddened by power. I gave you your chance Philius. This is the end for you."

"Enough!" To his own credit, his heart refused to yield. The wings of energy on his back flared with power, his veins once again enlarging and painted black patterns against his skin. "I will escape! I will become God!"

Before he could try anything however another presence entered the realm of white. The man with flaxen hair entered casually, ruining the atmosphere Philius had been building.

"Yo," Arvel waved towards Estile.

"You're late," Estile folded her arms.

"Sorry I had an ancient beast dragon thing to deal with and besides getting into your inheritance took my own. It's umm, nice. A bit white though."

Estile ignored his quip and instead turned to him, "Because of you Lav almost gave up her life."

"Well it's good that you prevented that," he smiled but then thought about the repercussions of their actions. "If we do come back from this she is going to be so pissed."

"Yeah, but at least she'll forgive me. She loves me after all. You, I'm not so sure."

"I'll use you as a shield so-."

Philius interjected livid with anger, "Stop ignoring me!" He had conjured all his power, all the strength he had taken from the remains of the Sleeping God and truly he should have been a significant threat.

"Sorry where are my manners," Arvel approached him, releasing an aura of intimidation. "Arvel of the Ever-Garden, Eternal Hero, nice to meet you."

"Impossible, the Hero vanished long ago!"

"And I came back," he turned to Estile. "Do we need him?"

She replied easily, "No, I just thought it would be boring with nothing to do until you arrived."

"Good," Arvel gripped his hand into a fist. "Philius was it? Time to face the judgement of the Hero."

"You will not-." Philius was confident, after all he had gathered power beyond anyone else in the entire history of their world. He had overcome everything in his path and only become stronger each time. Even from a young age he had built his empire from scratch. Now however that confidence was broken. A mighty fist descended down upon him, breaking through his sword and travelled towards his face. In his last moments Philius could see Estile, her expression one of pity. As Arvel made contact a rush of energy flushed into his body and then nothing. The man named Philius had dissolved and vanished to the white that surrounded him.

Arvel stood his fist extended, "That was a little easier than I expected."

"Well I did help," Estile breathed out feeling an easing sensation as a part of their problems was finally gone. "Before we head to the end, what happened outside? Is everyone okay?"

A smile split his lips, "Mostly. Valandus, Leela, Melissa and Mica completed their mission and took over the Sky Fortress. There were actually more who sided with us then we expected and after Valandus and Melissa managed to kill Urza, the fortress fell easily without leadership. Those loyal to Philius escaped and tried to find him but were rounded up by your friends. That Pelmont fella certainly created a sizeable defence. He, Maila and Reina are all resting waiting for your return."

"I see..., they might be waiting awhile then," Estile laughed wryly. "And how about back in the other world? Don't tell me you didn't spy on them as well. With your inheritance it would be easy."

"I wouldn't say easy. I am basically here, dead, with you after all," Arvel replied with a smirk but answered her regardless. "They're all doing well. Riften cleared up an incursion, no lives lost. Kalvera is doing his own thing as usual, though nothing nefarious this time. The only sad news are the children."

"Did something happen?" Estile asked concerned.

"Yes, to you," he smiled melancholically. "They're all praying and wishing their hearts out for you, Maila and Lav to come back."

"I would be lying if I didn't say I feel a little guilty now. Who knows if we'll ever see them again...." She slapped her cheeks and focused, "But what's done is done. Let's do this Arvel. We're going to the end."

"We might as well. Just give me a moment." With a tremendous and deep breath Arvel closed his eyes. The senses of his body faded away replaced instead by senses far more profound than just the mind. Estile could feel the flow of his magic as if it was palpable enough to touch. The ebbing flow of power that searched for the impossible realm of a God which should have been closed long ago. Even if Arvel had tried it earlier he would have never succeeded. It was only through Estile's inheritance, the world of her soul that had opened on top the Sleeping God's Altar that he could attempt his search.

Arvel opened his eyes, only seconds having passed, "I found them."

"Them?" Estile widened her eyes tentatively.

"Karen, Edgar, Sephie and Kyle. I can feel them and something else just beyond the boundary." He pointed his arm forwards, reaching for something unseeable.

Estile took his hand and focusing Arvel's intent awakened her soul, sending it out to combine with whatever he was looking for. A prick of anxiety replied. A fluttering beat that seemed small and scared as if it would disappear at any moment. With Arvel's help and with the gentlest touch, Estile bound their worlds together.