Chapter 14: New sights (Part 1)

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" Lillia asked uneasily.

"I should be the one asking you that," Kyle replied. "You've barely been awake a few days and you're already back on Hero duty. Don't worry about me." His expression skewed as he tried to work out the kinks in his strained muscles, "Everyone made sure I was going to be ready."

"Yes we did and you barely met the passing grade," Reina said without looking up from her desk in the corner of the truck. Since it was confirmed Kyle was to head to the incursion sight, the members of the Advanced Scouting Party made it their duty to make sure he would be ready for anything. On top of Maila's more than rigorous training, Melissa forced all her knowledge about demons on him, not to mention the extra work he had with 1st Officer Leela. Even Valandus had got in on the 'fun' and Reina made sure he was still keeping up with her own lessons. With all of it combined and Lillia with her own work, the two had barely spent much time together since that night.

Lillia pursed her lips, "You're with us now but when the incursion begins who's going to protect you?" With some finagling they had managed to get Kyle to travel to Elmori in the usual truck but when the time came they would ultimately separate.

"Kyle will be in safe hands," Bethial who sat nearby replied. "Leela has organised a suitable guard for the filming crew and I've managed to get one of our own into their ranks. It's better he's with them than us."

"Exactly," Valandus agreed from his position at the steering wheel. "Honestly I'd rather be with Kyle but someone needs to drive this thing in case of emergency."

"See Lillia?" Kyle smiled encouragingly. "It'll be fine."

She sighed, "I know but I just can't shake the feeling that something will happen."

"Something always happens," Valandus laughed. "We just make sure whatever does happen gives us the best results. Isn't that right Captain?"

Bethial nodded, "Valandus is right. As unlikely as it was to have two primarchs appear in a row, in this battle we'll be assuming a third time. We won't be caught off guard again, that, you have my word. We'll make sure you two both make it back to the Garden."

"Thank you," Kyle said sincerely. Due to their early departure they couldn't celebrate Kara, Himila and Mitsu's birthdays on the actual day but it didn't stop them from still having a party. The three girls really did enjoy themselves and were more excited with the trinkets he had bought in the market than he thought possible. Even Maila had looked at them curiously. If he had time he wanted to find the jeweller who made them and buy a few more as souvenirs.

The journey to Elmori took the entire day. They had left early from the Capital and entered the state of Elmori by the late afternoon and would reach the actual city by late evening. As the major city for one of the four states it was a vast metropolis filled with people and home to the largest schools of magic in their world. While Lavise specialised in new technology, Elmori could be said to focus on the ancient. Their libraries were rumoured to hold knowledge from outside the fog and Kyle was keen to see if that was true. With the coming incursion he was expecting the dreams to return and Elmori might just be the best place to find the information he needed.

After several long hours of traveling, the city finally came into sight causing both Lillia and Kyle to congregate at the front window. Built in the open space between two mountain ranges the city spanned even further than Central and glowed with a mystical light even from a distance. The architecture was unlike anything Kyle had seen before as their buildings tended to curve and sway rather than sit rectangular like those in Trentheim.

"It's a strange place but don't let that bother you," Valandus said as he smirked at their gaping. "The people of Elmori are an interesting sort. Lots of mumbo jumbo about ancient gods and devils goes around but don't listen to it. It's all a hoax to get people riled up. What we really need to focus on is the incursion."

His comment caused Reina to look up, "While I agree we need to focus, it's not a hoax. Elmori controls 60% of all sweeper groups across the world, they've gathered more knowledge about the world within the fog than the other states could fathom."

"Right, I forgot you were born here," Valandus rolled his eyes and turned his voice to a whisper. "She gets a bit touchy when it comes to home."

"I heard that," Reina glowered at him. "I'll remind you that even this precious truck of yours runs on principles founded by the wizards of Elmori."

"Yeah but it was the eggheads in Lavise that actually put it to good use."

Just as Reina began to rise from her seat Bethial blocked the view between them, "Settle, both of you. Each state has its own worth and we'll respect that. For now we need to make sure that our instructions were followed. It's been many years since a city was the sight of an incursion. There's a lot of work to do."

"Yes sir," the two replied immediately letting their bickering go.

"Kyle as for you," the Captain wondered next to him. "Once we get to the sight we'll be handing you off to Leela. You'll be under her direct command from there."

"Understood sir," Kyle nodded firmly.

"And me?" Lillia asked.

"As usual the Eternal Hero will only make an appearance closer to the time of the incursion. Till then you'll act as an ordinary Special Officer, as for your duty..." his eyes aimed towards Kyle, "we have a minor celebrity to look after."

Valandus scoffed, "Minor? Did you see how much promotion they pumped out for this stunt? Kyle here is already pretty well known, after this he'll be a household name."

Kyle felt his heart lurch at the thought. He hadn't really thought of the aftermath of his plans. Helping the Hero's Guard and enabling his own goals was one thing but becoming a celebrity was another entirely, especially if it came with more people like Karster.

He laughed dryly, "After this I might need Lillia's protection all the time."

"Well I don't mind if you'd let me," the girl in question smiled sweetly.

"Right, about that," the Captain looked at them both with a complicated expression. "These aren't my words but Maila's. You two may wander the city as you please however at all times someone must be in accompaniment. Additionally you are to report your whereabouts on the hour and most importantly under no circumstances are you allowed to share a room."

His words caused them both to blink in slight embarrassment. Neither of them knew that the others had been told and even in the Garden they kept their relationship a secret from the children. From Valandus' smug smirk and Reina's serious nod it was obvious Maila had decided to add a few more in on their situation.

Valandus let out a deceitful sigh, "A shame isn't it. I know you two are at that age but we are on a job after all."

"Let's just change the topic please," Kyle said as he felt the blood rush to the tips of his ears.