Chapter 9: A long wait. (Part 2)

"You need to calm down," Maila spoke softly trying to comfort Kyle who couldn't stop pacing in the halls. "It hasn't even been half a day and you look like you're about to go run after them."

"I can't help it," Kyle heaved out a sigh and lent over the nearby counter.

"You're the one who spent so long with Lillia helping her prepare, you know she's much stronger than she looks."

"I know but... I can't help thinking about the 'what ifs'." The young man tensed his hands open and close trying to fidget away the stress piling inside him. "Is it always going to be like this?"

"You get used to it." Maila paused then shook her head, "Sorry that was a lie. You never get used to it. I'm just a bit better at hiding my anxiety than you are."

"If I could have just gone with them then-,"

"You'd be suicidal." The older women folded her arms seriously.

"But maybe if I stayed away from the battlefield then-,"

"Could you actually do that? So close yet so far? I think it would drive you even more insane."

He had to admit defeat, "You're right."

It was after breakfast now and the other children had gone to their morning classes as usual. Aside from the goodbyes said they didn't seem to be quite so effected by Tai and Lillia's parting. For them it was a fact of life that they'd continue to go through, and though the older ones like Himila, Kara and Mitsu were more thoughtful, they endured it with a smile.

Kyle sighed, "I need to do something to get my mind away from it all."

Maila perked up at his words and pulled a long piece of paper from her pocket, "Well funny you should mention that." She handed him the paper.

"What is it?" Written in the different scrawl of the children were their names and besides them food.

"You may not realise it but the children have become more attached to you then even I'd like," she smirked. "They kept going on and on about when you were coming back so to placate them I got them to each list something they wanted you to make."

"Really?" Kyle felt a giddy warmth spread through his chest. Being accepted by the children meant a lot to him, though on that point the list in front of him was extensive. "Um there's a lot on here. They don't expect it all at once do they?"

"That's up to you," Maila shrugged. "Just don't be disappointing any of them. You know they can get pretty needy."

"Ah right," he scratched his head not sure where to start. On the list were simple things like pancakes and cookies but there also more complicated foods like baked pies and even some he had never tried making himself. "I might have to make an order to get all the ingredients."

"I'm not stopping you," Maila smiled. "If you ask Melissa she'll give you permission to leave so long as you're wearing a tracker. You can pick up anything you need from the city yourself."

Kyle blinked not sure what to say. While at first it seemed quite harsh for him to have to wear a tracker, considering how much he knew, letting him go out alone was proof enough of how much they trusted him.

"For now I think I'll stick to what we have," he smiled and rolled up his sleeves heading to the kitchen. The thought of cooking for the children pushed his anxious thoughts to the back of his mind. As much as he worried, there were still people he had to look after.

*

As night came Kyle was busying himself with making sure all the younger children went to sleep. The older ones usually did what they were told but were more inclined to sneak around after hours. It was the younger ones however who were the most trouble. Between not being able to sleep, not wanting to sleep, or waking up during the night it was more than enough. He was currently sitting in one of the larger bedrooms with an open book and four of the children cuddled beside him. They were Annie, Sara, Rudy and Lana going from oldest to youngest and the newest children to the Garden.

"And so the Hero and the princess lived happily ever after. The end," Kyle closed the picture book. "Okay that's enough. You said one story so now it's time for good boys and girls to go to sleep."

"But Mr Kyle I'm not tired!" Annie pulled on her pale green hair trying to show her deterrence. "Just one more?"

"No one more. I'm not falling for that again."

She began to pout and Lana joined in, "But you- but you were gone. Maila doesn't do the voices."

It was hard for him not to feel guilty no matter how important it had been, "Tomorrow night okay?"

"Fine," Annie finally gave in and pulled Sara off the bed to their own. "Sara is going to sleep with me tonight."

"Does Sara want to?" Kyle narrowed his eyes at Annie but Sara simply nodded with a loose smile. Seeing as things looked okay he went to stand but a small hand held him back. It was Rudy and like Tai being male had soft blue coloured hair. "Yes Rudy?"

"Lillia, Tai?" his little words caused a churning inside Kyle's chest.

"They're off doing some work at the moment. They'll come back soon," he patted his head and the boy let go. His expression however still showed his reluctance.

"But Jana is gone now," it was Lana who spoke.

"Shhh," Annie quickly walked over and closed her mouth. "We're not meant to talk about that. Remember what big sister Kara said?"

Kyle raised his brows and asked softly, "What did Kara say?"

Sara came to her rescue as the green hair girl became flustered, "Not just Kara. We don't talk about the ones who go away. It makes Maila sad."

"Oh...." For kids so young they were far more sensitive than he thought. At their age the most he cared about was where to play the next day. As Hero candidates they had other things to think about. He smiled and gently patted each of their faces, "You really are good children. Now go to bed. I'm making pancakes like you wanted tomorrow so make sure to wake up early."

"R-really!?" Annie exclaimed and pulled Sara away practically shoving her into the bed. "Quick go to sleep!"

Kyle laughed as he left the room. He had done the same thing as a child, going to sleep to make the new day come faster. Though back then he had been too excited so it didn't work, Annie however had a knack for sleeping and had snuggled quite comfortably with Sara before he even made it to the door. Rudy and Lana went to their own beds separately and quietly pulled their blankets over their bodies closing their eyes.

With the door closed Kyle stretched tiredly and quickly made a round check to make sure everyone was heading for bed. A few of the children were still awake but he could trust that they wouldn't stay up too late and he made his way downstairs. The day's duties were over and after talking briefly with Maila he went to his own room. Alone again his thoughts shifted to Lillia and Tai. Tonight they'd be fine but the next they'd face the demons. It was Lillia's true first time as the Hero and Tai's first fighting the demons. Unable to reach them he could only hope tonight's dream would give his mind some respite and that they could feel the same.