Chapter 33: A pause. (Part 3)

Kyle sat in the centre of the Hero's training ground. Out in the open of the field he had the mana forge propped in front of him. Though he was alone, the security leading in and out of the compound had doubled. The incomplete Hero's armour laid about on the dirt beside him and piece by piece he began to add it to the forge creating an incredibly complex array of strings to fill most the field. With practices steps Kyle walked about them inspecting and at times plucking against the strings, pulling them to new places.

"It's always been amazing to watch you do your work," Riften spoke from beside him. His presence had been completely hidden but Kyle didn't react at all.

"You should watch me cook," Kyle continued to play the strings at ease with his presence, "That will give you a real surprise."

"I still can't believe that," he smirked. "Last time I ate something you cooked I got food poisoning."

"Then let me make it up to you as thanks," Kyle finally faced him and smiled sweetly.

Riften however shuddered, "Okay that was way too nice for you. No offence but if you've forgotten, now is the point you would usually throw something at me."

Kyle waved his hands and the stretch of strings that ran across the field folded away and disappeared. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Riften looked at him genuinely confused.

"I remembered a few things and...."

"Oh you mean when you killed me and tried to take over the world?"

"I didn't go that far!" Kyle threw a piece of the Hero's armour at him.

Riften nimble caught the metal pauldron, "See that's better. Also apology not accepted. Why? Because I already accepted that literally a thousand years ago. I get you're just remembering things but try stick in the present."

"Sorry...."

He rolled his eyes, "And there you go again. Have you eaten? Because you know what they say, you're not yourself when you're hungry. I'm always good for another bite."

Kyle's stomach rumbled as he realised he hadn't eaten for quite the long time, "Well now's a better time than any to try my cooking right?"

"On second thought I'm fine."

"Seriously it's one of the few things I'm proud of," Kyle folded his arms.

"Well then, I can't not comply," Riften bowed grandiosely.

"We might as well eat at the Garden. I owe the children for being gone a while. Let me just pack-." A thud and rumble crossed his heart and seeing Riften also react, the two faced each other, "What was that?"

"I don't know but it felt powerful."

"And it's coming this way."

Kyle snatched a sword from the training ground and together with Riften ran towards the exit. As they reached the compound it was evident that they weren't the only ones to feel the powerful wave of energy as the walls had been dyed in red light declaring an emergency. An announcement blared through the compound's speaker system.

"All Guards to emergency positions. Prepare for assault. This is not a drill. I repeat, prepare for assault. This is not a drill."

Riften and Kyle entered the main walkway which overlooked the large training ground of the Hero's Guard. The members within were busy scurrying to their positions, many of them hastily trying to grab what weapons and armour they could.