Chapter 3: A passing wish. (Part 1)

Kyle didn't sleep and as the morning sun rose spreading light onto the village there was no bread to sell. For the first time in a long while the bakery remained closed. The oven unheated and the dough yet prepared. The sound of footsteps entering the kitchen caused Kyle to look up.

"You're already up?" his father asked innocently. He shook himself and moved to the sink splashing water over his tired face. "Could barely get a wink of sleep last night over all the noise. Though you don't look much better." A splash of water went Kyle's way.

Kyle wiped away the droplets, "It was a rough night."

"Well we're still alive at least," his father poured out a cup of tea, placing another in front of Kyle.

"Yeah, most of us that is...," he took the cup and sipped it, wincing as the hot liquid burnt his tongue. The pain faded quickly but left him feeling empty as he thought of how much Jana would have went through.

His father looked at him thoughtfully, "You okay?"

"I'm fine- No actually I'm not," Kyle admitted. "I-I saw some things I shouldn't have."

"Kyle, please tell me you didn't go out last night?" His silence was his response. "Why would you do that? You could have died." The older man became genuinely concerned, an emotion that was rare compared to his usual aloof behaviour. He held his son's head tenderly, "Just try to forget about it. The knights did their job. The battlefield isn't somewhere you should tread. We're bakers."

The words didn't make him feel any better and not even a few seconds after, a knock sounded against the store door.

"I'll get it," Kyle stood up and left the kitchen. "It's probably for me."

"Hold on there," his father frowned and went after him. He was too late however as Kyle had already opened the door. Standing on the other side was Bethial who almost covered the entire frame and with a slight duck he entered the bakery. Unlike before he was dressed in formal military fashion, the pin of stars across his shoulder showing his rank.

"Good morning," Bethial nodded his head to the father and son pair. "Allow me to introduce myself again. My name is Bethial Vonteur 1st Officer of the Hero's Guard." He paused allowing them to do the same.

Kyle responded first, "Kyle Barker, baker."

His father however was not as polite and hardened his gaze, "This kid's father and also a baker. Now what do you want?"

Bethial firmed his expression, "Your son, Kyle, has become an interest to the Hero's Guard and we would like to issue a formal invitation to join us."

"Invitations can be declined right?"

"I would suggest against it," the two men squared off against each other. One with his duty as a soldier and the other as a father. "Kyle has witnessed a few things that could be considered confidential. I'd prefer not to resolve this through harsher circumstances."

"Let me make this clear," Kyle's father stood his ground. "I'm thankful for what you and the Eternal Hero have done for our village but if you think I'd let you lay even a finger on my son you'll have problems far worse than any demon could cause."

"Dad please," Kyle intervened before the situation could become any worse. "Let's just hear him out."

"Fine," the older man accepted begrudgingly but made no move to let Bethial further inside. "Spit it out."