Chapter 38: The places we should have been. (Part 1)

"It's been awhile," Kyle stood looking over the canyon and towards the entrance of the temple. From above it looked small and insignificant, a simple opening to a much grander design within. If it weren't for the Lavise guards posted out the front, it would have been incredibly easy to miss.

Lillia heaved a sigh, "Edgar, Karen, Sephie and Kyle..., this is where we last saw them."

"Kyle?" 1st Officer Pelmont caught onto the name confused.

"Ah yeah," Kyle replied awkwardly. "One of the other mercenaries was named Kyle. We are very much different people though. If-When he comes back I'll have to really switch to Estile again. Anyway we should make our way inside, Philius may already have started the ritual."

Maila stepped forward, "Save your strength and let me take care of the guards." Before anyone could argue against her she had already leapt towards the entrance. It was a fair distance across and an even further distance down but Maila cruised through the air with ease. Unlike her usual attire, she was ready for war. The two knights guarding the opening could barely react as she descended upon them. The first never saw a thing as suddenly his neck was struck from behind. The second managed to reach for his sword before Maila landed and launched a kick towards him, sending the poor man unconscious into the wall. A few seconds later Kyle reached her with everyone else.

Reina nodded in approval, "It looks like your skills haven't rusted in the slightest."

She smiled in reply, "To train a Hero you have to be stronger than them first. Right Lillia?"

Lillia pouted, "Well yeah, but I'd win now."

Kyle cut in before they could continue, "Let's not make this a competition. We have a crazy dictator to take down. I'll lead the way."

Spaced evenly the group entered the temple. At first it was bare rock, barely a cave, but as they progressed the tell-tale signs of the Sleeping God carved out the walls. Reina couldn't help widen her eyes at the sight as the architecture and stonework revealed itself.

"This... this is truly like the cavern we passed through before," her eyes flicked about the room. "The one beneath the reliquary."

"Ah right," Lillia clapped her hands. "Whatever happened to that place?"

Pelmont answered, "It vanished. The team we sent couldn't find a trace of what you reported."

Reina nodded, "I checked myself as well. Seeing this, there's no way for it not to be connected somehow."

Kyle said nothing and continued to lead them down the stone corridor. He had his own theories, but none of them would matter until Philius was put to justice.

"Get ready, we're almost at the first cham-," before he could finish a powerful burst of energy rippled throughout the temple structure. Loose dust shot down the passage and as it passed, the etchings on the wall began to shine gold.

"What was that?" Pelmont asked, gripping his sword firmly.

"Philius may already be done," Kyle grit his teeth only for another familiar sensation to form a cold sweat between his brows.

Lillia was the same and laughed tiredly, "It came back."

"What did?" Pelmont asked again, still confused.