Chapter 7: A parting notice. (Part 1)

It was a ball room. Lavishly decorated with shining chandeliers, ornaments, paintings and statues, the floor was well catered with tables of fine dining the likes which many people would never see. Those who stood inside wore clothing to match. Cloth of the finest threads and sewn to perfection, each piece custom to the wearer. The range and variety was not small as the many cultures of the ball's participants showed their own unique charms. Long dresses that flared and swished with gentle grace, resplendent suits that extenuated ones physique, tight fitting pieces that showed off the body and accessories that highlighted the unique features of its wearers whether it was horns, ears or fur.

At the head of the hall a small stage had been erected and on it, the hosts of the evening. A regal man wearing a suitable crown raised his arms calling for attention over the crowd.

"Welcome all of you. I thank you for your attendance in today's celebration. Today we have gathered to once again thank and celebrate the efforts of the Ever-Garden's Mercenaries who have defeated the Archdevil Similois. As King of Ardentgrad whose country would no longer exist without them, allow me to lead a toast in their honour." The King raised his glass, "To the Mercenaries of the Ever-Garden."

"To the Mercenaries of the Ever-Garden," the crowd below responded the same, though there were some among them who simply smiled and nodded.

"I now pass onto Ms Karen who will be representing the Ever-Garden this night," the King stepped away and bowed respectfully as the red haired women took his place.

Karen stood with a pleasant smile. Her dress was as fiery as her hair and many in the crowd couldn't help stare at her commanding beauty. Although her appearance was much more than just easy on the eyes, no one in the room could ever feel more than respect and thanks towards her. That was the feeling she exuded.

She curtsied politely before speaking, "Before I begin allow me to sincerely thank you all. King Ardent for hosting this event and the countless others who have supported it, without you there would be no meaning in the peace we strived to obtain. While a few of us from the Ever-Garden could not make it, many of us are here. Please do not be shy or intimidated by our presence. In the end we are human, though the stories of us wouldn't make you think that," she winked and a few in the crowd below chuckled. "I'd like to also take this time to thank all the soldiers, volunteers and adventurers who assisted us against the Archdevil Similois. Though we were the ones who took the devil's head we could not have done so without relying on the individuals who gave their all to protect the people during our assault. I ask all the representatives of the countries and organisations that have gathered to note this and give credit where it's due." Karen smiled and curtsied once again, "That is all I have to say. Let us all enjoy tonight and remember the importance of the peace we keep. A toast to us all." She raised her glass as the crowd cheered. With that she moved from the stage and the crowd once again began to mingle.

"Thank god for Karen right?" Kyle nudged Estile beside him. "Couldn't imagine doing a speech in front of all these people."

"That's why we get her to do it every time," Estile nodded in complete agreement. "Remember when Trent had to a few years back. At least we didn't look intimidating."

"Aww don't be mean," Kyle laughed as he gazed towards the blue haired man across the room. He was surrounded by a myriad of young women all who showed no intent to hide their flattery. "Though it looks like he's a girl magnet as usual."

"Jealous?"

"Of course not," Kyle huffed flicking his brown locks. "If I wanted I could get anyone in this room."

Estile breathed out and smirked, "See it's that personality that makes you so unapproachable. Trent just projects innocence, girls like that. See how... oh wow there are a lot of them this time. Maybe you should go help him out before he runs away again."