Chapter 21: A Regretful Finale. (Part 5)

"Did you end up getting any sleep?" Lav sat down next to Estile. The early morning had come in a slow groan and now the two watched the brightening sky from the Temple steps. The Holy City before them was still a mess and barely recovered from the battles it had seen. Yet still there was a liveliness to it that sparked a hope in the people already carrying their day.

Estile turned to Lav, "A little, but not much. I can't shake the feeling that things aren't quite right yet."

"Neither can I," she also sighed. "I dreamt that I was still fighting those demons. Again and again I just kept fighting them. They weren't the same though and a lot of the time I died. It was a nightmare."

"That sounds... terrible." Estile couldn't say that she had similar dreams. Although Mori was the one among them who had a gift for it, for them to have nightmares wasn't a good sign.

"Well it looks like it's going to be dreary day," Lav complained. "Hopefully the sun clears up most this fog."

"Fog?" Estile looked back to the city and widened her eyes. She had been sitting gazing across the city for an hour now and there had been no fog. Now with Lav breaking her from her thoughts, she finally noticed the deepening haze. She immediately stood up, "Somethings not right."

"What do you mean?" Lav joined her confused. "Well a fog like this is a bit rare this time of year but it's not like-."

The first scream silenced her. Then came the next and another and another. Their eyes glued down to the city streets and in a rush of movement they dived towards the sounds of breaking chaos. Just below the temple a child stood quivering backed into a corner as a deformed mass of black ooze leaned above her. A snarling mouth clamped open and close letting out drops of thick saliva.

"Mummy?" the small girl quivered. Her half elfin ears twitched in fear as her eyes swam looking for relief.

Estile reacted in an instant and from her sword a powerful light sprang out bisecting the creature causing it collapse and melt away.

"Mummy!" the child screamed and Estile quickly came to her side.

"Are you okay? Where's your mother?" she gently comforted her only to realise the girl was looking at the puddle behind her shocked now to silence. "No...."

Lav suddenly landed beside her, "Estile they're everywhere! Are they demons?"

"Yes...," her reply was strained.

"But how did they get inside?"

The white haired girl couldn't respond as a sickening punch filled her gut, "We've made a mistake." Unable to leave the child she picked her up and ran back towards the Temple. Lav looked back towards the City and despaired, even if she tried to help now, there was little she could do. Trusting Estile she chased after her, hoping she had a better solution.

Her target soon became clear as they barged into the Temple prison. The four High Priests sat calmly unaware of the tragedy happening outside.

"Why?" Estile broke through the bars and took hold of Artali in both hands causing the guards on duty to jump in fright.

"Why what?" the elf looked back at her with intrigued confusion.

"They're all becoming demons! Why didn't you say anything!?" Estile shouted barely holding back her frustrated tears.

With slow realisation the elfin women widened her eyes, "So it's come to this. We are children of our God. This is what we feared."