Chapter 9: A long wait. (Part 5)

Melissa sat at her desk unable to keep still. In front of her was an empty basket with only small crumbs remaining. With the Captain gone there was no one in the Hero's Guard that she could easily rely on and calling for Maila wasn't possible. Her fingers fidgeted and moved subconsciously to take another bite from her plate only to find it empty. She had ate them all and in record time. Now with nothing to distract her the worst of what could be happening to Kyle flowed through her mind. For all she knew he could have been knocked unconscious and replaced by a disguised magician! She knew quite well how ambitious the Council Member could be and wasn't putting anything off the table.

Finally unable to wait she stood up. Though her left leg was now more metal than flesh and prevented her active duty, it had also given her new tools. Thanks to a certain someone visiting quite often she had even upped her exercise routine. Melissa took a deep breath and made up her mind, she needed to make sure Kyle wasn't being pressured into anything he couldn't handle.

As soon as she stepped into the outside hallway the two armoured guards looked her way. Their black armour shimmered and let out a soft hum as she approached. Enchanted armour that also used the latest tech built in Lavise. Compared to her crumpled uniform it was clear who was more intimidating.

"I need to speak with Petty Officer Kyle, it's urgent," Melissa squared herself.

"Until Councilman Tombre is done no one is to enter," the guard's voice sounded from his helmet with a soft static. "Please wait in your office."

The smaller women didn't back done, "It's urgent and as such I will enter and accompany Kyle for the remainder of this meeting."

"No one passes this point." The two guards made a gesture lowering their hands to the weapons at their side. "Step away. We'd rather not get violent."

"Neither would I," Melissa didn't back done and instead smiled. Hidden from sight a small blade slipped from her sleeve ready to strike as sparks of energy cracked around it.

Just as the tension between them was about to reach tipping point, the door opened. Philius Tombre stepped out with Kyle not far behind him, "A true shame Mr Barker but understandable. If you need anything from us in the future please contact me."

"I'll think about it," Kyle's expression remained rigid as the old man smiled.

"I apologise if I offended you. I'd much prefer if we have a good relationship from here on," he lent out his hand. Kyle shook it somewhat gingerly. "Till next time then. If you do have a change of heart, we'll ensure to make it worth your while."

As they let go Kyle said nothing and watched the old Councilman leave with his guards in tow. Once they were gone Melissa snatched Kyle's hand and dragged him into her office. The door quickly shut behind them as he could only be pulled confused.

"Melissa what are-," a sudden shock snapped through his arm from hers but even as he tried to break contact she held on to him firmly. "Yeow! Hey what was that for?"

She breathed out relieved and let go, "I was just making sure you were still you."

"Should I not be?" he widened his eye suspiciously worried.

"There was a small chance that's all." Her eyes narrowed onto him, "Care to tell me what happened?"

Kyle rubbed the back of his head troubled, "He wanted one of the children to do experiments on. I refused."