Chapter 5: A Garden with Something Else. (Part 1)

"Who are you?"

"Kyle Barker, Petty Officer 3rd Class. I worked as a local guard in the state of Trentheim in logistics and management. After assisting the Hero's Guard while they were in the region I was offered a full time position due to my skills and ability to provide moral support, mostly in the form of baking."

"Good," Bethial clapped him on the shoulder. "You've got your story straight but you'll still need to back it up." He placed several books in front of him.

Kyle read the titles. Introduction to Magic. The Basics of Management. A Guide to the Military. How to support others, a guide for dummies. The last three weren't all too large but the first one was especially thick.

"Considering your backstory this should all be standard. Also keep in mind that you should already know all this."

"Can't I just be a baker you decided to hire?" Kyle asked feeling daunted by the concept of study.

"It's not that easy to get into the Hero's Guard. Everyone is combat ready and just from appearance you most certainly aren't. Even Valandus was near the top of his class."

The driver looked back from his seat and complained, "What do you mean 'even'. I do good work here."

"The Captain is mostly implying your frivolous personality," Reina remarked from her desk without even lifting her gaze.

"Don't make me turn this truck around!" Valandus said in mock anger.

"We have a schedule to keep Valandus," the Captain folded his arms.

"Twas a joke sir," he faced forwards and focused on the road again.

Kyle shifted his eyes between the three. When it came down to it, each was an expert in their fields. The rank he had been given was already an officer's rank and though the lowest it was something military personnel would work years for. He had practically cheated his way up and was even being paid for it.

"These three books are fine but this one not so much," Kyle held up the introduction to magic. "In Tomph only the school teacher could use magic and the most he could do was blow a gust of wind and light fires. I've never touched the topic." Just flicking through the first few pages he was bombarded with mountains of terminology he had never heard.

The Captain simply shrugged, "Regardless all members of the Hero Guard must have studied magic to a useable degree. You can't escape it."

"I'm not running away, it's just, do I get any help?"

"I can help," Lillia raised her hand. She was sitting at the edge of the loft with her legs dangling over the corridor. "I'm actually considered an expert. All of us Hero candidates need to study it after all."

"I'm not sure that's wise...," the Captain frowned. "We still haven't decided where Kyle's position will be. For now try do the best you can on your own." He patted Kyle's shoulder.

"I'll give it a go," he stared at the pages blankly. Back when he was learning to bake he had read a few books to help him, but this was on another level.

Before he could begin in earnest however, Valandus suddenly called out, "Kyle come over here."

"Um sure," he stood up and left the books on the table. It was still a bit of a wobble to reach the front of the truck as he wasn't used to its sudden jolts but the past few days of driving were enough to stop him feeling sick at least. "What is it?"